Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT-Need HELP NOW -stomach cramps

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:07 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 298 Total Views

My 5 yr old son had diarrhea a few times last wednesday and since then has been complaining of a 'bellyache'. He would complain about it maybe 4-5 times a day and then it seemed to go away for 2 days or so and then this evening he was complaining again about it and has now been up for the past hour crying and writhing in pain! He has had no other symptoms since that initial diarrhea. He has been having regular bowel movements, all fine. What can I give him? What is going on?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
antivaccinemom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:18 AM

Well, I gave him Tylenol, for lack of anything else, and it seems to have worked for the meantime.

Muppets_Mommy
by New Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:40 AM

It's hard to say exactly.  At the age of 5, kids pick up so many germs. 

Did you give him anything that you can think of that may have brought about the stomach ache? Perhaps he has an allergy to something. 

If he's had no other symptoms since the initial diarrhea, it could be a completely different bout of diarrhea, or like I said, maybe it's what he ate. Did he have the diarrhea the first time after eating or drinking something, that you can remember?  eg; milk or dairy products.  Did he have that same food or drink again this time?

If you can't relate it to anything he ate or drank, then most likely it sounds like he's just got a case of a gastro infection again.  There's not all that much you can really give him to stop the diarrhea. As long as he's drinking okay, keep pushing the fluids.

Sounds like the Tylenol worked for his abdominal pain, so I would just wait and see.

Please check out my blog ~Darlene's Musings~ 

http://muppetsmom.blogspot.com/

new_mom808
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:46 AM

I would give him some probiotics, and see if that helps.
It sounds like bad gas, has he eaten anything lately? Broccoli? Could be a dairy intolerance....
DH always makes me drink this gross shot of warm water and baking soda. It absolutely sucks going down,  then I get really naseous for about 30 seconds then I start belching. LOL, it works though. I'm better in about 30 minutes. It works like those volcano science fair projects. It just turns the excess acid into gas, and brings it up.

MamaCass
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:36 PM

My guess would be gas too.

There is an assessment of the abdomen that we are taught in nursing school.  What you do is you gently tap the abdomen over the area where the intestines would be.  It should not sound hallow.  If it does that is gas.

My son had something similar, minus the diarrhea and it was gas.  I gave him a heating pad and warm tea.  That helped. :)  Otherwise I am sure there is some all natural something you can get from the health food store and I would also do probiotics.  Otherwise there is Mylicon  (that really is a pretty benign med).

ThinkTwice08
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Thanks, good info to know... :)

Quoting MamaCass:

My guess would be gas too.

There is an assessment of the abdomen that we are taught in nursing school.  What you do is you gently tap the abdomen over the area where the intestines would be.  It should not sound hallow.  If it does that is gas.

My son had something similar, minus the diarrhea and it was gas.  I gave him a heating pad and warm tea.  That helped. :)  Otherwise I am sure there is some all natural something you can get from the health food store and I would also do probiotics.  Otherwise there is Mylicon  (that really is a pretty benign med).

Christian- Libertarian, NON-vaxing, Natural child birthing, Breastfeeding, Non-circumsizing, Earth- friendly, mom of  One Happy, Healthy baby boy! big smile mini

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who could not hear the music." -Angela Monet

antivaccinemom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Not gas,

not a food allergy or intolerance- he has none,

and the diarrhea was ONLY last wednesday then disappeared but the belly aching stayed and appeared sporadically.

He already takes a probiotic daily and I started giving him 2 daily after the initial diarrhea.

Since I wrote this 2 days ago, last night he had some belly pain so I went ahead and gave him Tylenol before bed and within 4 hours he was in my room complaining of pain but NOT like the night before. I rubbed it some and he'd fall back asleep, waking up every hour to complain....!

Then today he had diarrhea twice and then a regular bowel movement, so I was hoping it was out of his system! Then this eve before bed he was again complaining of stomach pain....so weird!

It has been one week exactly.

Terri441
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 10:59 PM
We had that here for a while and it just went away as mysteriously as it showed up??!!
I hope he's feeling better soon
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)