Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my sister has whooping cough

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:17 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 291 Total Views

Diagnosed by the PA that works at her school (my sis works as a substitute teacher).

I told her that's what it sounded like to me and, after she asked Dr. Google and began to suspect it herself, she went in for a look-see. Even without the "whoop" portion of the cough.  She didn't "whoop" but she did cough hard enough to throw up on several occasions. 

I spoke with a doc (mother of a kid that goes to school with mine) and she said she had it as a resident and never had the whoop.  She said whooping cough in adults usually doesn't manifest with the whoop sound.  Due to years of learning to control breathing and learning how to anticipate/control coughing.

(This particular MD also told me that vaccine was a joke.  Her words exactly.)

We had it around here (NE Texas) and I know it's going around.

Now she's annoyed because she got her "booster" earlier in the year.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ccmj
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:44 AM

so that booster is effective huh?!? 

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:33 PM

I hope your sister feels better soon.  Definetly get the test to confirm though.

jescgrl
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:55 PM

There is a huge push around here for the booster. I saw a billboard that said in huge letters "Whooping Cough Kills" then went on to say "save the kids,get the shot"

Gee how great!  

TippyD
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 10:50 PM
Did she get the test done?? We were told that was the only way to get a definite diagnosis. Nice job her booster did though ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)