Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! Rabies question!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:46 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 400 Total Views

My son was just bitten by a stray cat. He's 21-mos-old, was walking and accidentally fell on the animal. I cleaned the wound, but I'm afraid if I take him to the doctor, they will just want to vax him for rabies. What would you do?

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TLJBNJ
by Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Cats have really REALLY nasty bacteria in their mouths, keep an eye on it and if it starts to show signs of infection he will possibly need antibiotics. I'm not sure about the rabies vax, I always think it's stupid that people use vaccines as anti-venom, I remember stepping on a nail and I got a blood infection and they wanted to vax me for tetanus (um, if I already have the infection what is further exposure going to accomplish?). Have you seen the cat before, is it feral or just  an outside cat? Is the cat showing symptoms of rabies?

antivaccinemom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:59 PM

You have 28 days to recieve treatment. An animal will show signs within 10 days of exposure. Can you locate or try to locate this cat and get him quarantined?

antivaccinemom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:59 PM

I wanted to add, if you were able to celan the wound thoroughly and immediately, I wouldn't be concerned, just keep and eye on it.

coffeelover782
by New Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:02 PM

My husband has done research, and many very smart doctors dont believe rabies exists. I know your worried, i would be too, cause were moms. I think you should clean it up real good with peroxide. as the pp asked, have you seen the cat before? Is it acting wierd? We have an unvaxed stray cat as a pet, and so does two other family members. my cat play bites and scratches all the time. hes also always outside with other stray cats, and no ones got rabies. if the cats fairly normal acting and looking, it should be okay. maybe block the call and call the hospital and ask if theyd give antibiotics or rabies shot. if its just antibiotics, maybe get that.Good luck, keep us posted.

coffeelover782
by New Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:05 PM

This is good to know. i didnt know you could wait thet long. plus whats the chances the cat just got rabies in the last few days. Thats why i asked if it was acting funny. i think that would give a clue.

Quoting antivaccinemom:

You have 28 days to recieve treatment. An animal will show signs within 10 days of exposure. Can you locate or try to locate this cat and get him quarantined?

caemommy
by Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I would watch that wound like a hawk - keep it immaculately clean. Cat bites can turn to raging infections super fast. My husband works in a veterinary clinic and and they all get bit at some point - but the ones that have gone south quick were all cat bites.

Loa1002
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:26 PM

hydrogen peroxide the hell out of that bite. Cat bites and scratches can be severe if left untreated.. How deep is it? Clean daily and a couple of times a day to prevent infection. 

LiamsGoodMama
by Member on Feb. 21, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice. This sure is scary. In answer to your questions, I think the cat looked healthy. We have seen it maybe once or twice before. It's not feral, just stray. @TLJBNJ, I totally agree. It's the same with rabies vaccines. They give you the shots after you've been exposed. How is a dead form of the virus going to help my body make any more antibodies than the actual virus? Sooo counterintuitive.

The wound still looks healthy right now. There are 7 very small puncture marks, and I am watching them very closely and keeping them clean (although he is putting up a huge fight when I try to mess with them.) I'll update you when I know more. Thanks again so very much!

Gabismom287
by Member on Feb. 22, 2011 at 11:52 PM
The best thing for cat bites is breastmilk. So if you it any one you know has any, soak a small amount of to with breastmilk and let it for on the wound. Even us a band aid to keep it on for an hour or so. My cat used to bite my dd a lot. She was an unvaxed cat, who went outside daily. The 1st time dd was bit, she was about 12 months and the puncture wounds were fairly deep. I was scared. I took her to the Dr the next day and our ped didn't believe it was a cat bite bc it was healing so fast and well. Hope this helps. BTW we use breastmilk for every scrap. Anytime the skin is opened. It even works for ant bites and bee stings.
MamaCass
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2011 at 12:50 AM

YUP!  :)

Quoting Loa1002:

hydrogen peroxide the hell out of that bite. Cat bites and scratches can be severe if left untreated.. How deep is it? Clean daily and a couple of times a day to prevent infection. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)