Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP ASAP PLEASE!!!!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:32 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 291 Total Views

I am writing because a lady contacted me yesterday because she saw an article I hd part of in the Kalmazoo Gazette about my stand against vaccinations. She is Amish and lives about an hr away from me. She does however send her two girls to public schoolsHer daughters came home on Monday with a letter from the school stating that there had been a girl breakout with chicken pox. Her girls needed to be vaccinated or they would take her girls out of school for 21 days. Now she did sign the state waiver form, and I told her by signing that she had agreed to those terms. Of course I have never heard of a school actually enforcing them. So I told her yesterday that I would let the school contact her about it, and simply ignore the letter. Well there was no school on Tuesday due to records day or something. She sent her girls to the school bus this morning and they came back inside crying saying that the bus driver said they were not allowed on the bus or to go to school because they did not get their shots. I am SO FURIOUS!!!! I can't believe these poor little girls had to go through this! I have given her as much advice as possible, and see where that gets her. Now another interesting fact is that this mom called the mom of the girl who got chicken pox and the girl had received the chicken pox vaccination. The health dept lady told the mom that there is no way you can get chicken pox from the vaccination. So my question is : Does anyone know if knowing that information is grounds for her to be able to do something about this? I mean the girl with chicken pox gets to return to school in 5 days but yes this moms girls have to stay out for 21. Honestley if I were in her position i would get a lawyer. I did just mail her out a new refusal to vaccinate waiver form that is not self incriminating. I told her that since they actually took action on this whole thing to replace that waiver form with her original and then they can't do this in the future. Does the school by law have to accept that new waiver form in place of her old one? I know this is very long but my heart goes out to this mom and her children. I want to help her in whatever way I could because I know if I were in her shoes I would want the help :-)Thank you to anyone who has advice or knows where the law stands behind her on this.

Mother to 4 boy's and two girls!

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Caydens_momma
by Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Wow! i am shocked! idk have any advice i am still learning and new to all this. But my son had the vax at 2 yrs old. He is 4.5 not and in public pre-k. He has ckn pox now. I warned the school and they did not notify anyone. So i am shocked about this. In fact, when i told the lady in the front office that he had ckn pox she said that scarlet fever (i think..been a long week) had been going around. No one warned us of that.

I can't imagine that that is legal.

confused0701
by Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:20 PM

^ its not!  Legally they have to notify the health department and the parents!  Our preschool always did and director loved that we didn't vax and let me choose if I wanted to pull my daughter out or not and if I did she wouldn't charge me!  I left alyssa in and guess what she never caught any of it and neither did the 2 other kids that were unvaxed but just about all of the rest of the kids caught everything that went around!

dedicatedrider
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:23 PM

In my understanding this is legal and standard procedure, if you do not vaccinate your children and send them to public school, if there is an outbreak your child will not be allowed to return for 21 days.

confused0701
by Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Yeah thats how it is here and honestly I think its stupid as hell!

Quoting dedicatedrider:

In my understanding this is legal and standard procedure, if you do not vaccinate your children and send them to public school, if there is an outbreak your child will not be allowed to return for 21 days.

mommyqua
by Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Well they can't do that with my children, and they go to public school! It's only if you sign your state waiver form, which I did not because of that exact reason. I printed my own off line and in that case I am not agreeing to those terms. So...this is really dumb!! Thanks ladies, I hope to get somewhere with this!

Quoting confused0701:

Yeah thats how it is here and honestly I think its stupid as hell!

Quoting dedicatedrider:

happytexasCM
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Quoting mommyqua:

Well, They can't do that to my children even though they go to public school. I did not sign the state waiver form which states that they can remove your child from school for 21 days. I made my own form

Your children can still be removed if it is part of the law, but I don't think any state has a number of days specified for a particular illness.

mommyqua
by Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:49 PM

I have no problem having my children removed if they are the one with the chicken pox or whatever it is they might have. But to hold my unvaccinated child responsible for a child thats vaccinated and contracts something...that is a bunch of bull. This Amish mother is the only one who received this letter because she does not vaccinate. But the child who actually has the chiken pox was vaccinated for it!! So I feel like they are simply punishing her because she chooses not too!! There is no law stating they can remove my child if my child is not the one who has the "disease" That is why the state waiver form is self incriminating. It is then and only then they can remove your child from school. I mean, come on...how dumb is it that they are blaming an unvaccinated child for this child that got the chicken pox even though the unvaccinated child has never had and does not have the chicken pox? This is such crap!

Quoting happytexasCM:

Quoting mommyqua:

Well, They can't do that to my children even though they go to public school. I did not sign the state waiver form which states that they can remove your child from school for 21 days. I made my own form

Your children can still be removed if it is part of the law, but I don't think any state has a number of days specified for a particular illness.

KandiceN
by Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Can she have her childs titters checked? If they have pox immunity that counts instead of the vax.

happytexasCM
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Quoting mommyqua:

I have no problem having my children removed if they are the one with the chicken pox or whatever it is they might have. But to hold my unvaccinated child responsible for a child thats vaccinated and contracts something...that is a bunch of bull. This Amish mother is the only one who received this letter because she does not vaccinate. But the child who actually has the chiken pox was vaccinated for it!!

So I feel like they are simply punishing her because she chooses not too!! There is no law stating they can remove my child if my child is not the one who has the "disease" That is why the state waiver form is self incriminating. It is then and only then they can remove your child from school. I mean, come on...how dumb is it that they are blaming an unvaccinated child for this child that got the chicken pox even though the unvaccinated child has never had and does not have the chicken pox? This is such crap!

They are not holding her children responsible, they are exluding them based on two things

• the school assumes that because they are unvaccinated they may be harboring the virus and can spread it to others.
  • they are assuming her children are vulnerable and they are excluding them for their own protection.

I agree that it is non-sensical but every state vaccination law has language to the effect that in the event of an epidemic (or outbreak) the un/under vaccinated may be excluded from school. Just because you printed your own exemption doesn't mean you are not subject to the law.

My state:

Quote:
(f) A person who has not received the immunizations required by this section for reasons of conscience, including because of the person's religious beliefs, may be excluded from school in times of emergency or epidemic declared by the commissioner of public health. ~~Texas
Now it may be that in your state the school does not have the authority to exlude children without an epidemic declared by the department of health. If that is true, then that is what I would argue.
Caydens_momma
by Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Wow. I had no clue. Like i said...i am new to all this. That is just shocking to me. I would think a warning to the parent is warrented but not allowing them in school...sounds very unfair. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)