Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have to go to Dr and HATE the way they treat us!

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:10 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 358 Total Views
I avoid going to our ped. At all costs! They lecture me on vaccining and even told me there is nothing nutritional about breast feeding my son now. He is 16 months and we haven't gone to dr since his 9 month check up. He has a nasty cough that just won't go away and is now scaring me so I think it's time to go! Give me the strength to put up with their BS I told you so's!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pixiefunk
by Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:12 AM

You know the colds going around are like that I never officially stopped coughing after my 1st chest cold. Got a second over 2 weeks ago and am still coughing. LO only got the second cold, he is still coughing somewhat too. 

Unless it's BAD I wouldn't go. But I'm sure you are there already. Just thought I'd try to reassure you if it wasn't!

Good luck!

Mom_to_Skyler
by Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Find a new pedi!  There are some awesome, pro vax-choice docs out there.  Have you considered a general MD?

Try searching on the Institute of Functional Medicine website.  I find those docs to be a bit more accepting of personal choice.

And only go if it's *really* concerning you.  Honestly, rest and fluids works most of the time.  But nobody makes money off rest and fluids.

I hope your baby feels better soon.

monkeyberry
by Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Yeah, I ditched our pediatrician after getting lectured about smoking because DD had constant ear infections. No one smokes around my kids and she basically accused me of lying. We now have a family practitioner that I love!

Unless it is really bad, I would not go. If it is just a lingering cough I would let it be.

Good Luck!

Sipesyeri
by Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:15 PM
It's a lingering cough but he coughs so hard he chokes and almost pukes than starts crying! My DD and I both have asthma so I get worried. It has been about 2 weeks that he has had this cough and it's not getting better. I just don't want him to have an infection or something. Hmmmmm
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fluud7
by Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Two weeks? From your original post, I thought it had been like....well over a month. Lol. Obviously you need to make your own call with your own child, but I don't think I'd take my child in for just a cough. Especially one that has only lasted 2 weeks. That's a pretty short period of time for a cough.

Quoting Sipesyeri:

It's a lingering cough but he coughs so hard he chokes and almost pukes than starts crying! My DD and I both have asthma so I get worried. It has been about 2 weeks that he has had this cough and it's not getting better. I just don't want him to have an infection or something. Hmmmmm

Michal7
by Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Have you tried giving him medicinal tea?

Gypsy Cold Care and Cold Care PM, have helped my child when he was having a persistant cough. Sweeten the teas with raw honey for best therapeutic effect.

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Also try running a humidifier at night.  There are a few colds going around that can keep an adult coughing for a month or more.

TLJBNJ
by Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Honestly unless he has a high fever or can't breath I wouldn't take him in. There are quite a few things you can do for him at home, humidifier, lemon/honey mix, up his vit. c, give echinacea, etc. They probably wont do anything for it besides prescribe maybe some sort of cough syrup (though I'm not sure if they have an rx for it for toddlers) you can find natural over the counter cough syrup made by hylands or little remedies that is said to work well at most drug stores.

fluud7
by Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:41 PM

I forgot to mention that we use honey to treat a cough. Although....I guess they say you should be 2 before ingesting honey, don't they?

Sipesyeri
by Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:54 PM
Thanks ladies! I will keep an eye on him and just keep doing what I'm doing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)