Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Group B Strep test ?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:36 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 882 Total Views
so i have read somewhere (and of course now that i need it can't find it for the life of me) that the test is basically pointless cause the results can change. But i have also read that even if you are positive and give an IV antibiotic it can make the baby allergic/immune/resesentant to that antibiotic and they won't be able to use again basically. I'm trying to find the ritual or what not to take with me as a back up if i have to fight the subject. Does anyone know where to look? Where it is?

I'm a cloth diapering, breast-feeding, baby-wearing, non-vacsing, church going, health food eating mommy of two, almost three.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
simplemarn
by Member on Mar. 29, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Hi, I don't have written info for you, just a quick personal story with Strep B. My son is two years old now...but when I was pregnant with him, I tested positive for strep B and dreaded the antibiotic IV......BUT....my labor was so quick (went to hospital at 10pm and he was born naturally at midnight!----Thank you, labor water tub!!!) the midwife didn't have any time at  all to do any IV on me...he was born perfect.......but  after he was born I was concerned and I said "What about the Strep B? Does he need antibiotics or something?" and she said "No, it's not a concern unless it's a really long labor and delivery"......the nurses said he'd be fine but they'd watch for his first few hours for a cough (which they'd probably treat with anitibiotics at that time, right?)....ANYWAY, long story short: it was a worry over Nothing! He is the healthiest little bug I know! I avoided the whole IV antibiotics thing and it worked out peachy!!!!

:)

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:19 PM

I know the results can change based on the day or even what time of the day they swab.  Taking probiodics and a few other methods like a garlic clove can be used to prevent a positive test.  On a side note, if you do test positive, then there are other means such as a docuhe method to prevent transmition without an IV.  I tested neg last time and refused the test this time so I am not concerned.  I take probiodics daily and had a quick labor last time so I guess we are going to take the watch and see approach when my May baby comes.

ThinkTwice08
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2011 at 6:26 PM

I had VERY similar experience. :)

Quoting simplemarn:

Hi, I don't have written info for you, just a quick personal story with Strep B. My son is two years old now...but when I was pregnant with him, I tested positive for strep B and dreaded the antibiotic IV......BUT....my labor was so quick (went to hospital at 10pm and he was born naturally at midnight!----Thank you, labor water tub!!!) the midwife didn't have any time at  all to do any IV on me...he was born perfect.......but  after he was born I was concerned and I said "What about the Strep B? Does he need antibiotics or something?" and she said "No, it's not a concern unless it's a really long labor and delivery"......the nurses said he'd be fine but they'd watch for his first few hours for a cough (which they'd probably treat with anitibiotics at that time, right?)....ANYWAY, long story short: it was a worry over Nothing! He is the healthiest little bug I know! I avoided the whole IV antibiotics thing and it worked out peachy!!!!

:)

This is the form I made up and brought with me to my midwifery visit as well as the birthing center:

I and my husband have chosen to decline oral and IV antibiotics for treatment of GBS, based on our research into the risks of the GBS itself as well as the risks/benefits of Clindimycin treatment to both my baby and to me.

I am using the below alternative methods to help decrease the level of colonization:

2 capsules (30 bill.) probiotics daily,  2 Grapefruit seed extract tablets, 2 garlic clove gel caps,    an elixir of ( 1/4 cup of honey, 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar) 1/2 teaspoon  twice daily, and  1 Echinacea purpuria root capsule daily (1 week on, 1 week off)  for the last six weeks of pregnancy.

I will also be inserting an organic  tampon soaked in a combination of 10 drops of tea tree essential oil,   9 drops Oregano Essential oil, and Olive oil- Leaving the tampon in for 30mins each day for the 3 weeks prior to delivery date. 

I am still considering  the use of  a Chlorhexidine douche (Hibiclens) during the onset of  labor.

If any of the risk factors (fever over 38 degrees Celsius, pre-term birthing < 37 weeks, or prolonged rupture of membranes > 18 hours) occur, we will consider whether the antibiotic treatment  benefits would then ‘outweigh the risks' for the baby's health.

Mother's Signature  _________________________________     Date_________                           

Father's Signature   _________________________________      Date_________

Facts that have contributed to our decision include:

1.)The CDC estimates that only 0.5 % of babies born to GBS-positive mothers with no treatment will develop a GBS infection, and that 6 % of those who develop a GBS infection will die. Six percent of 0.5 percent means that three out of every 10,000 babies born to GBS-positive mothers given no antibiotics during labor will die from GBS infection. If the mother develops anaphylaxis during labor (one in 10,000 will), and it is untreated, it is likely that the infant, too, will die. So, by CDC estimates, we save the lives of two in 10,000 babies-0.02 percent-by administering antibiotics during labor to one third of all laboring women. (We should  keep in mind that this figure does not take into account the infants that will die as a result of bacteria made antibiotic-resistant by the use of antibiotics during labor-infants who would not otherwise have become ill. When you take that into account, there may not be any lives saved by using antibiotics during labor.)

2.) Up to 29 % of GBS strains have been shown to be resistant to non-penicillin antibiotics. (Which I would have to use based on my history of allergic reactions)

3.) The risk of early onset disease in colonized neonates is increased if there has been prolonged membrane rupture, maternal signs of infection, amnionitis, intrapartum fetal monitoring, or if the baby has a low birth weight or is born preterm.

4.) A national UK surveillance study in a 2000-2001,28  reported incidence rates of early onset GBS disease (defined as septicaemia, pneumonia, or meningitis before 7 days of age) of 0.5/1000 live births, similar to the US, despite the lack of screening in the and treatment in the UK.

5.) UK studies have found that 83-100% of deaths due to GBS were in preterm babies.

6.) The decline in GBS bacteraemia has been associated with a small increase in early onset E. coli bacteraemia in neonates which is associated with a higher mortality than the GBS

According to the FDA, "part of the problem is that bacteria and other microorganisms that cause infections are remarkably resilient and can develop ways to survive drugs meant to kill or weaken them. This antibiotic resistance, also known as antimicrobial resistance or drug resistance is due largely to the increasing use of antibiotics."

7.) Evidence is lacking on the effectiveness of antibiotic prophylaxis for the vast majority of women identified by GBS screening who have no other risk factors, and any benefits are likely to be small.

8.) Increased risk of HDN: Early onset Hemorrhagic Disease of the Newborn (HDN)  occurs in the first 24 hours, is very rare and mainly associated with mothers who have taken anticonvulsant, antibiotic, anti-tuberculosis or anticoagulant drugs during pregnancy. (Vail, B. Vitamin K prophylaxis and hemorrhagic disease of the newborn. ICEA Review 1985;9.) 

9.) Colostrum from a nursing mother's  breasts is the best antibiotic treatment any baby could ever get. J 

Christian- Libertarian, NON-vaxing, Natural child birthing, Breastfeeding, Non-circumsizing, Earth- friendly, mom of  TWO  Happy, Healthy baby boys! big smile mini

Ariana07
by Member on Mar. 30, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Last time I tested positive but declined the IV abx. What I did was douche with hibiclens during labor (in a birth center).

This time I want to test negative, so I'll use the hibiclens before the test and during labor (because I tested positive with all 3 kids, so most likely would again this time)

I wouldn't decline the test because if something goes wrong during labor and you have to transfer to the hospital they'll treat the baby as if you had tested positive and give him abx.

If you are already giving birth in a hospital and refused the test they might keep the baby for a long time and give him a 1000 tests and abx and come up with ridiculous reasons for it. I have heard many stories about cases like that.

pixiefunk
by Member on Mar. 30, 2011 at 1:35 PM

I tested positive last time, got antibiotics, but reacted to them (throwing up like WOAH)

This time I don't ant them. I am taking 500 mg of vit c (I've been getting colds too!) now. I plan on doing the tto tampon before my test this time. I have hibicleanse for labor (if my water stays intact this time!) I also am planning on adding the garlic now and bee propolis later. 

Also when they test for GBS they should figure out what antibiotic works on it. (Extra needs to be requested) If you have GBS that responds to penicillin you will be okay, most likely. But if you have a resistant strain, you may want to conceed on antibiotics (and you'll know they are they correct ones, not  treating resistant form with inferior antbx!)

But you are close so you need to start something soon. I would get start with the tto, garlic and vit c NOW. Get familiar with hibicleanse and get it if you decide to do it, so it is on hand and not somehting you have to try and get during labor!!

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2011 at 9:52 AM

I was told by my mw that if the child shows symptoms they are supposed to do a quick blood test before administering antibiotics.

Quoting Ariana07:

Last time I tested positive but declined the IV abx. What I did was douche with hibiclens during labor (in a birth center).

This time I want to test negative, so I'll use the hibiclens before the test and during labor (because I tested positive with all 3 kids, so most likely would again this time)

I wouldn't decline the test because if something goes wrong during labor and you have to transfer to the hospital they'll treat the baby as if you had tested positive and give him abx.

If you are already giving birth in a hospital and refused the test they might keep the baby for a long time and give him a 1000 tests and abx and come up with ridiculous reasons for it. I have heard many stories about cases like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)