Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here and feeling...confused.

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:09 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 333 Total Views

Hi everyone, forgive me if my questions are already answered somewhere else...I'm new to CafeMom and getting used to the layout.

A little back story of me and how I got here: 

A while ago, another forum that I'm a part of brought up EBF and the discussion led me to do a little more research which led me to drmomma.org. Well, THAT got me into looking at "alternatives" to the "norm" (FF, diapers, etc.). So that plus my friend suggesting this site led me HERE. I've been browsing through some posts when I can and some of the things I'm reading is just...mind boggling! I had NO IDEA about a lot of the truths behind vaccines (like some ingredients!) 

See, I have no children yet. DH and I are planning to have them in the next few years but right now with his job, our finances and some other factors...kids just don't "fit" right now. BUT I am the type to do ALL the research I can so I at least have a direction or an opinion to stand behind when the time comes (plus I'd like to not do all of this researching...b/c its turning out to be A LOT...in 9 mos). So here is my question to you ladies: What vaccines are given to kids from birth to...well idk how long? I talk to DH about all the info I find and until I can find more on vaccines, we have compromised to do selective/delayed vax. I'm sure I have a ton more questions but I'm extremely tired but also just HAD to ask! I'd ask a friend of mine but I know she's tired of me asking all these questions and since I've started this research, we don't really see eye to eye on what we want for our kids (my future; her son and unborn). She is VERY pro-vax...so I just don't think I'd get the info I'm looking for or if she'd even be able to answer my questions at all if I was to ask. :/ 

TIA and apologize in advance if this just rambles on. 

by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dedicatedrider
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:12 AM

Here are some questions to answer for yourself in deciding about vaccination:

1. Name of the disease
2. Description of the disease
3. Length of time from initial infection to end of all symptoms
4. Infectious period
5. Normal symptoms of the disease
6. Known serious consequences of the disease
7. Proportion of persons infected developing serious consequences
8. Transmission route of the disease
9. Prevalence of the disease
10. Treatments of the disease and efficacy of those treatments
11. Relevant research about the disease
12. Name of the vaccine
13. Company that makes the vaccine
14. Contents of the vaccine
14A. The significance of whether or not the vaccine is live
15. History of development of the vaccine
16. Known side-effects of the vaccine and rate of incidence of those side-effects
17. Possible side-effects not yet acknowledged by the vaccine maker
18. Relevant research into the vaccine
19. How effective is the vaccine at preventing the disease?
20.What is the vaccine meant to do? (Many vaccines are not meant to prevent infection or transmission).
21.Number of cases reported each year.
22.Number of deaths reported each year from the vaccine and natural disease.

Here are some sources to help you out:

Vaccines: The Risks, The Benefits, The Choices 1/18 DVD, By Sherri J. TENPENNY

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/mmwr_wk.html (download the current issue)
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/pink-chapters.htm
http://vaers.hhs.gov/pdf/PackageInserts.pdf
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7018835240451107552&q=
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6351515212287981735&hl=en
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/G/cases&deaths.pdf

Health Sentinel Graphs

WHO GRAPH

Vaccine Injury Table

Beyond Conformity Resources Page

Do you have a quick-fire summary?

Inside Vaccines

etnavywife1025
by Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Wow. O.o. Glad I started this now! 

Thank you for the quick response and links! :) 

ZoeyBethsMomma
by Member on May. 22, 2011 at 10:26 AM

You're smart to start ahead of time. Doing all the research can take a lot of time and be overwhelming at times. It would definitely be a lot easier if you don't already have the time limit of being pregnant. :o)

ajmarq
by Member on May. 22, 2011 at 12:40 PM
Can I also suggest (if you haven't already) natural childbirth? I believe epiduals and pitocin are as dangerous as vaccines, with long-term side effects that are now being examined in connection to autism and teen drug use- for starters. I watched "The Business of Being Born" when i was first pregnant & it really changed my life. 15 months ago I had a drug-free water birth (I credit my "short" 9 hours of labor to being WELL prepared!). My son did not get the Hep B shot (I was tested so we could avoid that AND the eye goo!) and he left the hospital drug-free, I was going to start vaccines at 2 years, but after intense research, I think we'll be avoiding ALL vaccines, always. I highly recommend the full vaccine talk given by Dr Tenpenny on YouTube. She quotes lots of articles from the CDC to make her very good points! I also recommend "Pregnant in America".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ajmarq
by Member on May. 22, 2011 at 12:42 PM
Perhaps it's on the list already(

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=pdLMeULoujM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Caroline2010
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2011 at 11:18 PM

i second a natural birth if u want! 

in the group there is a post at the top with a list of books, web sites. facts and such! it will take u hours to go threw it but its worth it! and feel free to ask any questions u need too! my dd is 15 months old and has never been vaccinated!

Jennybenny01
by Member on May. 23, 2011 at 12:41 AM
I third the natural childbirth. I delivered DS in 4 hours and 45 minutes because I was well prepared and had a doula that helped with pain management techniques. I also used some hypno-birthing techniques. I would hold off on vaccines until you have done all the research and comfortable with your decision either way. My DS is almost 3 and vax free.
etnavywife1025
by Member on May. 23, 2011 at 1:10 AM

Thanks for all the support ladies!! 

I am definitely planning on having a natural (preferably water) birth for our future babies! Funny thing is back in '08, my friend was trying to get pregnant with her then husband and my views on birth came up in a discussion (she is a vegan, believes in everything natural/organic, all that). I told her a hospital birth was no big deal and I'd probably go for the epidural. Well...She just said, "can I show you this documentary?" I said sure. It was The Business of Being Born!!! I LOVE IT!! I even got DH to watch it with me and change his views too!!! I also want to breastfeed and self wean (funny, DH *never* talks about us having babies BUT he said I HAD to breastfeed b/c its the best and "his kids will get nothing but the best!" lol. He has a cousin that is a doula (in a diff state though) so I was going to at least ask for her recommendations if she couldn't physically be here. 

I really do appreciate the support and compliments even though I don't have children. I know my friend sometimes views it as me trying to have my "perfect plan and schedule" in place and that I'm trying to be little miss perfect or w/e but I just want to know what I want so I can *relax* during my pregnancy. 

ajmarq
by Member on May. 23, 2011 at 9:01 AM
I believe you cannot be too prepared. My friend had a baby two months before me, and to my dismay she "didn't want to know what was coming" because she felt it would make her MORE afraid. She also wasn't sure if she could handle the pain so she wanted the epidural close by. She got the epidural, the pit, the vaccines, etc... And she believes letting a baby "self soothe" isn't the same as letting them "cry-it-out"!?! She also gave up breastfeeding after a month. Gees.

I know five other women who did not consider interventions during birth to be a problem, and they ALL got epidurals & various interventions such as forceps. Disaster, as far as I'm concerned. NONE are breastfeeding. Meanwhile, ALL of the girls from my midwives' childbirth class went all-nat and breastfed. I don't know their vaccine stats.

I believe once you start down this road there just is no way back to "conventional wisdom".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lukes-Mom
by Member on May. 23, 2011 at 10:02 AM

First of all good for you for researching and educating yourself before you dive into this! 

I really don't mean to promote myself but you sound like the perfect person for the e-book I wrote.  It's about diving into the world of natural health and immunity for your children and it starts at pregnancy and birth.  It's loaded with other trustworthy online resources and addresses a lot of issues you may not be aware of.

If you want to check it out you can at Brave Parenting

You've certainly chosen a great place at this forum for getting information.  These ladies are amazing!!!

Enjoy the ride!

Babies Health Naturally - Empowering parents with information, embracing Mother Nature, and supporting our children's health naturally.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)