• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A little help please....

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:48 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 173 Total Views

Question~My almost 17 month old was partially vax'd, up until 9 month before we decided to stop, so he did not receive an MMR. Yesterday we ran into an old friend of mine at the mall and she has a 12mth old daughter. The babies were playing while we talked, and it occured to me that at 12 mths they usually get that shot so I asked and... she had just gotten it last week. =0(
I have read various things about shedding, and my son was hugging and kissing her daughter, (he's a lover, lol) so how concerned should I be? Actually what I guess I really wonder is, how long would it take for him to exhibit signs if he is going to get ill? I am planning on watching him closely and with crossed fingers, this would be a bad time for measles. My daughter is due any day with a new baby, and I have to watch my grandaughter who is almost 2...ugh, this could be a nightmare.
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
micheledo
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2011 at 11:06 AM

There are ladies who can probably give you MUCH more information, but I'll share the little I know.

Just from things I have read, it can happen, but it is also rare.  I mean SO many people would be sick with measles if it was common.  Most people I know don't keep their kids home and away from people after getting shots.

I mean it IS possible, but it probably isn't going to happen.  I guess if it was me, I would relax a little and just see what happens.  If the grandaughter you are watching has parents who are SUPER vigilant or would freak out, I would maybe just let them know and then they can decide.  But I really don't think you will have a problem.

babydreams4me2
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:19 AM

lol, Thanks. In reality, he's probably been exposed to recently vaccinated kids before, this is just the first time I've been AWARE while it was happening and they were in actual CONTACT that I saw. So it made my brain buzz at bit. =X 

My grandaughter also hasn't had shots, so it just seems like it could really be a pain in the butt and potentially dangerous  for the newborn if measles are running around when my daughter is pregnant or right after he's born....

Caroline2010
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2011 at 12:34 PM

i would just cross ur fingers and hope for the best! i was a bit worried when my dd was exposed to the mmr but she was fine! good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)