Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hemoglobin Levels

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:01 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 378 Total Views
I heard that around baby's 12 month appointment they check hemoglobin levels. Can I refuse the test? Would it be unwise to refuse it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dhiannian
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:30 PM

I'm getting it done, I don't really see the harm. Unless I see a needle full of something that is, then they won't be touching my son, they just prick the finger my ped said.

emmy526
by New Owner on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:06 PM

its an iron test to see if your child is getting enough. If you aren't worried about it, then refuse the test. 

dhiannian
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:09 PM

They also check for lead, which should not be an issue here, but you never know.

Naely2010
by Member on Jul. 9, 2011 at 12:35 PM

I have thalassemia, so my levels are usually low, so i like to get mine checked to make sure i'm doing everything alright.  i think its a good test to let you know where you baby is at. it's not the end of the world if it's low but it may help you to increase what you are eating if you are still breastfeeding or what the baby is eating if he/she is eating yet.  it's not an injection, just be prepared to look suspicious to them if you refuse.  it's in your parental rights to refuse, but if you aren't around understanding people they may turn on you thinking you are trying to hide something.  i would say pick and choose your battles, plus this is more informational than them trying to inject something into your baby. which is worth fighting.  but it's always good to be informed about what is going on with you baby... by checking they may notice something is off.... well anyway, i said my peace... good luck with whatever decision you make~! :)

jnttd
by Member on Jul. 9, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Thanks, Ladies. Her 12mos appointment is on Tuesday. I was just wondering about it. She's about 90% EBF and about 10% solids.

I'm going to talk to the pedi about it because I really don't see why it would need to be done. Of course, as pediatricians do, he's going to try to talk me in to it no matter what. But I just want to know why he would find it necessary for a child who doesn't seem to be lacking anywhere. I am anemic myself but I try to keep iron in my diet and I take iron supplements when I'm feeling weak.

nadiamar
by Member on Jul. 10, 2011 at 12:03 AM

I didn't refuse the test.  It does not hurt, and provides valuable information.  You want to make sure his iron levels are where they have to be, this is important for oxygen transport into the tissues.  It is a prick and a little blood comes out and nothing goes in.  If his iron is low you can boost and increase levels by eating more green leafy veggies, not necessarily supplements, it just depends on how low it is.  Normally, breastfed kids have lower levels.   

Good Luck with your decision..

jnttd
by Member on Jul. 10, 2011 at 12:38 AM

I'm sure it's easy for YOU to say it doesn't hurt because YOU'RE not the one getting pricked. [: And I get iron from my prenatals AND my diet. I am a vegetarian so I get plenty of plant proteins and iron.

Though breastfed children may generally have lower levels that doesn't mean their levels are generally too low.

I'm not saying I will refuse anything that will be painful for my daughter. Obviously that isn't a wise decision. I'm just saying that it doesn't seem necessary for our situation.

Quoting nadiamar:

I didn't refuse the test.  It does not hurt, and provides valuable information.  You want to make sure his iron levels are where they have to be, this is important for oxygen transport into the tissues.  It is a prick and a little blood comes out and nothing goes in.  If his iron is low you can boost and increase levels by eating more green leafy veggies, not necessarily supplements, it just depends on how low it is.  Normally, breastfed kids have lower levels.   

Good Luck with your decision..

emmy526
by New Owner on Jul. 10, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Another way to boost iron intake is to cook in cast iron pots n pans.  The food absorbs miniscule amounts of iron from the cookware. 

jnttd
by Member on Jul. 11, 2011 at 11:53 AM

I've heard that but I guess I completely forgot. Thanks.

Quoting emmy526:

Another way to boost iron intake is to cook in cast iron pots n pans.  The food absorbs miniscule amounts of iron from the cookware. 

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Black strap molasses helps too.  There are tons of yummy and good for you recipes that you can do from vegetarian baked beans to molasses cookies.

Quoting jnttd:

I've heard that but I guess I completely forgot. Thanks.

Quoting emmy526:

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)