Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dr. visit coming up, what to do?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:19 PM
  • 28 Replies
  • 630 Total Views
It almost time for my sons 8 month well baby visit. We do not vaccinate. He only got the hep b regrettingly, because I hasn't started my research. I had never even thought to question vaccines, so thankful I have and he hasn't had anymore shots. But anyways, my Dr. Always tries to talk me into getting his shots and I will never change my mind but I'm wondering if its worth it just to make sure he is healthy. Which of course he is. Do you take your babies to their well baby visits. I would like to see his growth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Earthy_Mom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I took DS to his 6month one (which was with my midwife) and then it was 6months until he met his pedi. Then only once a year after that up to his 3rd bday. He hasn't been back in 2 1/2 years.

To know how he is growing, I have him lay on the floor and use a measuring tape from heal to the top of his head. For weight, I have him stand on a scale (used to sit him on the scales in stores lol, but he's too big for those now :D ).

I would only take him in if I noticed something wrong that I couldn't treat at home. Personally, I don't think they're all that important. I am lucky and have a pedi, even though we haven't seen him in 2 years, that doesn't push shots...but if I had one that did, I would write it across his chart in big letters NO SHOTS and then make sure the nurses were informed and the doctor. If they keep pushing it, I'd switch doctors and/or tell them where to stick the shots, then switch doctors.

emmy526
by New Owner on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:27 PM

nope....didn't take mine..can't you see his growth with your own eyes at home and take his measurements? why take him to a germ ridden office to get sick and have some stranger preach to you about something he knows little about...seems silly to me...drs are for practicing and diagnosis an illness on someone, not treat them like guinea pig science experiments.

babybensmama
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:40 PM
Ok, thanks. I think I will just cancel. And I will measure him at home. He is big for his age which was the only reason I wanted the Dr. To see him but he's fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Quoting babybensmama:

Ok, thanks. I think I will just cancel. And I will measure him at home. He is big for his age which was the only reason I wanted the Dr. To see him but he's fine.

about the only thing a dr will do is grill you on what you feed him and then tell you he needs his vaxes..

Marsena
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:23 PM
I weigh myself holding my son, then just myself and subtract. Now that he can stand I make marks in the doorway ;) you can get charts or something to hang I the wall for this too! My son hasn't seen a doc since he was 1 month old. He's now 15 months! ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babybensmama
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:49 PM
Thanks, makes me feel better. I found an awesome naturalpath/ chiropractor/pediatrician that I plan to try to go to once my dh's new insurance kicks in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dhiannian
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:21 PM

I do take my son, and like you, I only allowed him to get the hepB because I didn't know any better.

My ped was a little pushy before my son turned 6 months, then she eased off tremendously.

If I were you I would either, take a bunch of info in there to show the ped, arm yourself with why NOT vaccinating is actually in your son's best interest, OR

And this is what I would most likely do is, as soon as the ped starts bringing vaxes up say "It's not open for discussion." or "You are not going to change my mind."

I like to take my son to watch his growth, and to cover myself if there was ever a neglect complaint brought against me because of my non-vaxing stance.

I also like my ped, and want my son to have someone who he is familiar with, and who is familiar with his history for when he is actually sick, so for me, it's worth it. If my ped was super pushy though, and wouldn't take no for an answer, I would most likely rethink my ped choice, or taking him at all, because no parent needs to have anxiety attacks about their child's DR visit, and I used to early on.

babybensmama
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:38 PM
Thank you so much. Has anything like neglect charges ever happened to someone for not vaxing? Then, it prob would be a good thing to go to all appt. But again thank you for your ideas.

Quoting dhiannian:

I do take my son, and like you, I only allowed him to get the hepB because I didn't know any better.

My ped was a little pushy before my son turned 6 months, then she eased off tremendously.

If I were you I would either, take a bunch of info in there to show the ped, arm yourself with why NOT vaccinating is actually in your son's best interest, OR

And this is what I would most likely do is, as soon as the ped starts bringing vaxes up say "It's not open for discussion." or "You are not going to change my mind."

I like to take my son to watch his growth, and to cover myself if there was ever a neglect complaint brought against me because of my non-vaxing stance.

I also like my ped, and want my son to have someone who he is familiar with, and who is familiar with his history for when he is actually sick, so for me, it's worth it. If my ped was super pushy though, and wouldn't take no for an answer, I would most likely rethink my ped choice, or taking him at all, because no parent needs to have anxiety attacks about their child's DR visit, and I used to early on.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dhiannian
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:05 PM

I'm sure it has, never researched it. But if my child were to contract a "vaccine preventable" disease, and be seriously injured, they could argue that it could have been prevented with the vaccine, and therefore I was neglectful in not getting them for him.

I wouldn't put anything past these people, and I'm not taking any chances.

My record with the ped shows that I care about my son's health, and am not neglectful in that at least. 

Quoting babybensmama:

Thank you so much. Has anything like neglect charges ever happened to someone for not vaxing? Then, it prob would be a good thing to go to all appt. But again thank you for your ideas.

Quoting dhiannian:

dhiannian
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:19 PM

I just found this, I don't have an exemption, and wasn't aware that I needed one unless I tried to put my child in school or day care. Something else to look into I guess.

35. Q: How can a parent who is concerned about harmful vaccinations be held neglectful for not immunizing a child being cared for by him/her? MH, January 2007

A: This matter is about legal technicalities. There are only three "places" you can be with regard to required immunizations: 1) You are up to date with all legally required vaccines, 2) You are properly exercising a valid legal exemption, or 3) You are doing neither of these first two. If you are in that third category, you may not be in compliance with the law, and therefore be vulnerable to claims of medical neglect and prosecution for failure to immunize. So, take steps to comply with your state's immunization laws by vaccinating or exercising a valid exemption. Then, take steps to help raise awareness and support for more reasonable laws that allow parents to make informed choices for their children. 
See The Pandemic Response Project for information about efforts to expand the right to choose concerning vaccines."

http://www.vaccinerights.com/q&a.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)