Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

joint legal custody and vaccinations

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:31 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 804 Total Views

my daughters dad and i are in disagreement about parental rights and what not. in mediation i was thinking of agreeing to legal custody (only because i will probably not be able to get sole even if i tried) but i am like oh crap, if i do that he will probably vaccinate her just to spite me. i can't get sole, don't want to do joint..is there a way to do joint with the exception of vaccines? i am so clueless with this court/legal stuff, it us all new to me and i have never done anything like this before. plus, what if he continues to fight dirty, like he has been, and tries to use not vaccinating against me in court...will that look bad on my part? how do i fight that?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Fields456
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:33 PM

maybe you could see if he would agree to legal joint in everything but medical  or you could have it where he has to get your approval before making any medical decisions for her.

if you dont have an attorney you might want to consult one 

emmy526
by New Owner on Aug. 18, 2011 at 6:58 AM

consult an attorny immediatly!!!!!!

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 6:58 PM

You can request sole legal and joint physical, or you can see if they will give all medical to you.  I'd also scare him with the how would you feel if you vaxed her and something happened, threat.

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Print all info you have on not vaxing to show the judge.  they may agree (not that it matters), and see why you don't.

EcoModernMom
by Member on Aug. 21, 2011 at 8:45 PM

could i say shared legal except the right to vaccinate..or however to word it to sound better? or should i do except medical entirely? there is no way i can afford a lawyer unfortunetly so i am on my own.

emmy526
by New Owner on Aug. 22, 2011 at 7:22 AM

you can also request no medical intervention is given unless both parties agree. That includes vaxes. That way no dr can talk your ex into vaxing her cuz he can say he's under court order not to do that.

kailu1835
by Member on Aug. 23, 2011 at 1:43 PM

You will have to do a parenting plan.  Just put in the parenting plan that the mother has final say in all medical decisions.  Not vaccinating is never grounds for removal of a child from a home.  CPS was called on a friend of mine's daughter for not being vaxed.  CPS asked for the mother's reasons, and left.  She finished her report as being unsubstantiated.

kailu1835
by Member on Aug. 23, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Oh, and I wanted to mention that you ALWAYS should attempt to get sole custody, and only settle if there's no way the judge will agree to it.

Fields456
by Member on Aug. 23, 2011 at 2:37 PM
Call around and see if you can find a lawyer to take it pro-Bono. Lot of time you attorneys will to gain more experience an some offices will
Just because it's like their giving back

Quoting EcoModernMom:

could i say shared legal except the right to vaccinate..or however to word it to sound better? or should i do except medical entirely? there is no way i can afford a lawyer unfortunetly so i am on my own.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)