Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about Mumps

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:50 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 222 Total Views

Anyone know if there are any information of any Mumps outbreaks?

My oldest son has the left side of his face swollen and a lump on the side of his face near his jaw bone.  Took him to the Doctor on Call and she wasn't really sure what it is since he has no other symptoms (no fever, runny nose, etc).  She thinks it could just be an infection that has settled in a gland/node and gave him antibiotics telling me if it's not better in 2 days, take him to the ER.

He has severe autism, non verbal, high pain tolerance.  So I have no way of knowing how much it bothers him or anything other than he's been in a happy mood the past few days including today.

He had his MMR around 12-18 months but did not have his booster. 

No one at this new office asked about his vaccines or lack of.  And to be honest, I didn't offer it.  I figure if it is Mumps, at least he seems to be tolerating well and no major issues so far and I know it has to run it's course.  He's not been to school this week and won't go back until next week at least assuming the swelling is gone and no other symptoms come up.

I was unsure about it only being one side of his face, but seems that it can happen.  Anyone have any thoughts?

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
TippyD
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:30 PM

from what I understand it can be confined to one side, but I think all they do is antibiotics anyways, just keep him away from pregnant women:)

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:33 PM

I had mumps in 1994 and all they did was give antibiodics. 

awalker1979
by Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:48 PM
I thought mumps is viral.

We don't know anyone expecting right now plus he is not typically around very many people because of his anxiety.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)