• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

vaccines and colds

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:49 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 267 Total Views
I have been asked and have seen people on some fb pages like dr tenpenny and proud parents of unvaccinated children people post a similar story.
Kid gets a cold, so someone asks about the kids vaccines. When I was asked I wanted to ask what that had to do with a cold since there is no cold vax. I keep seeing this scenario. What am I missing? Where are these people getting the idea vaccines prevent colds? It must be some propaganda to vaxers bc too many non vaxers say they are asked this. WTH?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
sreichelt26
by Member on Jan. 16, 2012 at 1:17 AM
I think those people just don't understand how illnesses work. Vax are for viruses, not bacteria. And even if you're vaxed, doesn't make you immune.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on Jan. 16, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Quoting sreichelt26:

I think those people just don't understand how illnesses work. Vax are for viruses, not bacteria. And even if you're vaxed, doesn't make you immune.

some vaxes are for bacteria, like the tetanus vax... the pneumoccocal vax is another bacterial vax...

princessmara
by Member on Jan. 16, 2012 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

What I have done when my kids have colds and am asked if they are up to date on their vaccines is I look at the person in great surprise and say "WOW! I didn't know they had a vaccine to prevent colds!"  That not only confuses people but they get so flustered that it ends the conversation.

emmy526
by New Owner on Jan. 16, 2012 at 8:57 AM

prevnar 13 also is a bacterial vax...invasive strep bacteria....

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2012 at 3:01 PM
I`ll try that next time. Maddie has had 2 colds, and 2 or 3 sniffles that lasted a day or 2. I wouldn`t call those being sick. So, she doesn`t get sick enough to use that. From the statistics I`ve seen she needs 5 more to make the "average" # of colds per year.

Quoting princessmara:

What I have done when my kids have colds and am asked if they are up to date on their vaccines is I look at the person in great surprise and say "WOW! I didn't know they had a vaccine to prevent colds!"  That not only confuses people but they get so flustered that it ends the conversation.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)