Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Angry about the dr appt, not sure what to do...

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 4:35 PM
  • 31 Replies
  • 763 Total Views

On Monday, we went in for my dd's 4 month checkup and shots.  I'm not completely educated about all the vaccines.  I asked for only for her tetnus and rotavirus. The doctor said they dont make just the tetnus anymore its the d-tap. He also said something about another one he wanted her to get today but I couldnt' hear over dd crying. The assistant gave her the oral for the rotavirus and 1 injection. When we were leaving I looked at the paper with dd's shot records it said she got not just the rota and t-dap but the polio and one called the HIB. I'm upset because its my understanding that it is my right to refuse, which I did....and she still got them. I don't know what to do. Last time I signed paperwork saying I was refusing the one's that I did, this time I didn't.

What would you do? If you have any info so I can read up on the vaccines I'd appreciate it.

by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KJ_on
by Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 7:55 PM
I don't know what you can do legally but I'm sure there is something. But heads would be rolling if a doctor did something like this to my baby!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM
If it was just 1 injection then as far as I know she couldn't have gotten all those vaccines. Hib and polio arent combined with tdap. Tetanus is available independently.
I would begin looking into a new pedi.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:39 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd leave that practice PRONTO!!!!!!!!!! 

did you know rotavirus is NOT serious in our kids here in the USA because of all the wonderful access we have to fluids and clean water...the vaccine was invented by OFFIT, who PROFFITS from vaxes like rota...you do know the ingredients in all  the vaccines, right?   Seriously, you should call the pedi's office, tear them a new asshole, and threaten them with legal action for knowingly administering vaccines you told them you refused your daughter to have.  the other thing is, if your daughter has an adverse reaction, since they did that against your will, you can expect the dr to deny any correlation to the vaccine.  

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Is that new? Tetanus hasn't been single for years unless they just did it again.
They may have done a combined one. I know there is one that Hib it tacked on to.

Quoting melindabelcher:

If it was just 1 injection then as far as I know she couldn't have gotten all those vaccines. Hib and polio arent combined with tdap. Tetanus is available independently.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Id find another dr. Also don't do any more until you have done enough research to feel comfortable.
I would have went crazy on someone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ichthus
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I think what your dd got was the new 5 in 1 vax for dtap, hepB, and polio. Here's a link I found when I quickly googled it:

http://www.vaccineinfo.net/immunization/vaccine/dtap/pediarix.shtml

So all you approved for them to give was the rotavirus?? I would be pissed!! I would at the very least be calling that doc's office and giving them a piece of my mind. Definitely find a new doc and do your research before you let her have anymore vaxes.

ruthie11617
by Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Of course they make the tetanus one by itself. If an adult goes to the ER with a wound that they deem tetanus shot-worthy, you get...a tetanus booster. I've had several over the years and it was never combined with the usual suspects (pertusis/diptheria). Now, I don't know if they would use a different vaccine for an infant, but for an adult, absolutely.

Quoting kitty8199:

Is that new? Tetanus hasn't been single for years unless they just did it again.
They may have done a combined one. I know there is one that Hib it tacked on to.

Quoting melindabelcher:

CafeMom Tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

2011CaliMom
by New Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 1:47 AM

I had read a while back on someone else's post that she had asked for the tetnus not the t-dap so this is how I thought to ask for that.  The DR told me that it was no longer produced by itself. I felt backed into a corner and didn't know what to do so I told him I would accept the t-dap then.

Quoting melindabelcher:

2011CaliMom
by New Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 1:51 AM

I said I only wanted the tetnus (which I then was told they only did the t-dap now) so the Dr did NOT inform me that there were other vaccines combined in the 1 injection she did get. I did not ok the HIB or the polio.

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting melindabelcher:

2011CaliMom
by New Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 1:57 AM

She didn't get a stamp for the hep B that day. The Dr said it wasn't time for that booster yet. I approved 2 and she got 4. Last time I only approved 2 and that Dr had me sign a waiver stating such. Monday I saw a different Dr (same practice) and I didn't sign anything. I'm a first time mom and not sure how to go about all this. He told me she needs these shots..blah blah blah. DD was tired and so she was crying and I couldn't hear all he said :( Maybe he didn't hear me?

I said no several times and felt pushed into a corner. I'm on medical and not sure how to pic a pediatrition. I found this one from a family friend and drive almost an hour to the office. Any advice?

Quoting Ichthus:

I think what your dd got was the new 5 in 1 vax for dtap, hepB, and polio. Here's a link I found when I quickly googled it:

http://www.vaccineinfo.net/immunization/vaccine/dtap/pediarix.shtml

So all you approved for them to give was the rotavirus?? I would be pissed!! I would at the very least be calling that doc's office and giving them a piece of my mind. Definitely find a new doc and do your research before you let her have anymore vaxes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN