Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting to buckle under the pressure!

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:14 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 517 Total Views
My 19 mo old and 6 mo old are both completely vax free.
But I'm beginning to second guess my decision.
I've researched and researched and was so sure of the right choice when I was pregnant with my 19 month old and now I wonder if I did the right thing. :-/
Whooping cough is making a come back and I found out recently how sick the measles made my mom.
My girls' pedi is okay with no vaccines but he does make it clear that he chooses to vaccinate his own kids.
He gave me a bunch of websites with info to do more research myself.
I'm just not sure anymore. :-/
My hubby is still very much against any vaccines, but he is open to doing more research and possibly doing one or two of the vaccines for the more dangerous diseases.
Does anyone here do select vaccines? How did you come to the decision to not vaccinate?
Have you ever doubted your choice?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wolfybaby
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

the cdc states that virtually all cases of pertussis fatality occur in infants 4 months and younger. while it is a sucky disease, your kids have a slim chance of dying from it. measles isnt that bad, either, if you treat it correctly. staying warm, inactive, and not reducing the fever will all greatly reduce complications. its when allopathic medicine interfers that cause the person to get even more sick.

fahmom
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this
We do not vaccinate at all but I have definitely qeustioned myseld at times. I find the more research I do the more confident and firm I am in my position as is my DH. I was fairly sure of my decision when my cousin's 2 month old son passed away from a vaccine reaction but that made my case stronger. Going to his funeral was more then I ever needed to witness. And on top of all the research, as a theology major I know the Bible and I trust God.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wolfybaby
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM

do you like to read? if you havent already, pick up dr. sherri tenpennys book "saying no to vaccines: a resource guide for all ages"

she solidified my belief that vaccines are neither safe nor effective!

she also has a video on youtube if you prefer listening. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdLMeULoujM

youve made it this far without your children succumbing to "deadly" diseases.. now they are out of their most vulnerable, high risk age. i wouldnt worry. not even for the measles.

wolfybaby
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:37 PM

also.... "raising a vaccine free child" is a good book. in it, the author describes each childhood disease and how to treat it the RIGHT way.

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:22 PM
My aunt got measles at 9 months and is perfectly fine, and did very well. Pertussis isnt making a comeback, it never left. It has always infected thousands per year. We just have a bigger media audience now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on Apr. 20, 2012 at 6:27 AM

And how do you know back in the day if your mom was even treated correctly for measles at that time? We know so much more about this disease now, and how to treat it, to thwart off the worst of the illness, and earlier recovery time. That is a poor example of why you should start vaccinating.  Read up some more on the diseases and the vaccines that do NOT protect them but CAUSE MORE LONG LASTING IMMUNE DAMAGE,  pretty much guaranteeing your child will be a statistic for pharma for life.   Read some of the stories on the links provided in this forum  from other moms who's children are forever changed due to vaxing-my OWN included.  PLEASE DO SOME MORE RESEARCH.  And altho i'm sure your pedi gave you credible sites to read, i'm sure he gave you the sites only HE is interested in having you read to sway your thinking into HIS agenda....BE CAREFUL of scare tactics and fearmongering they like to use....and the old saying, "you take just as much of a chance in life with anything" is total BS...you can also choose not to potentially expose your child to injected toxins, too. 

Choosing Not to VaccinateChoosing Not to Vaccinate-proud group owner

emmy526
by New Owner on Apr. 20, 2012 at 7:19 AM

What do you mean, "dangerous diseases?"...which do you consider dangerous?  imo, the vax is more dangerous than the illness..."the cure is worse than the disease"

FebPenguins
by Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

This article was just posted in the Natural Birth and Parenting group. It is about the whooping cough.

sadams33
by New Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I have also found myself questioning my decision to no longer vax. However, I still stand firm. Please do not let big pharma convince you that you and your child are "in danger" of contracting the latest hyped-up disease/virus. I've seen the Pertussis (whooping cough) commercials too! Now that the "flu danger" scare tactic is losing steam, they need a new "serious threat to our health" that can, of course, be prevented by a vaccine! Right.
If you are ever unsure, buy yourself time to do more research and delay getting any new vaccines, until you know more. Once the chemicals enter the body, you can't reverse it, so why take a chance?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
booklover74
by Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 2:01 AM

I haven't vaccinated a child in ten years now. I've had many periods of self reflection and questioning on this choice, just like I have with a lot of other parenting choices. I do it much less over vaccines now but it happens. It happens when  I read about a baby or toddler dying and the news says it's something like whopping cough, measles, or some other "preventable" illness. When i doubt I research everything again until I am confidant one way or the other. I also remember that stories saying a baby died of something, because they weren't taken to the doctor in time, even though they had a fever of 105 and were puking for two days at six months, doesn't play nearly as well as baby dies of pertusis.

My oldest is 18 and I've recently had to review and refresh my reasons in detail to be able to explain to her, in a detailed manner, why we chose not to vaccinate her beyond a certain point. She's making her own medical choices now and I really do fear that she will listen to presure from a doctor at some point and get all the booosters and more that I kept her from, instead of following our reasoning and research. She doesn't want the vaccines but is really easily intimidated by doctors, especially if they seem upset. Having to mentally go over everything and refresh my research to be able to give her references really helped reinforce my belief that I have made the right choice for her and our other, younger kids, for the long run.

I suggest you find a couple good books on vaccines and research the history of disease and get a lot of real life stories of how people dealt with things like measles. Just about any illness can be horrible for someone to get through, it depends on a lot of factors. Peoples perceptions change over time as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)