Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think I should do....

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:21 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 446 Total Views
We have just been informed a case of whooping cough has been confirmed at my childs school. One child as far as i know. It is a small school. I haven't asked around, but I assume most of the children aren't vaccinated. My kids aren't. Should I be worried. I am not really, but sometimes I can be too chillaxed. I did just read vaccinated kids can get it too. And if they go get the vaccine it's more then one. So would it even
be effective? Would it just lower thier immune system? And then they will get it anyway. They are sick right now, sneezing, snot, congestion, complaining of ears, and a cough. Not a 'whooping' cough. And they have been sick on and off for awhile now. But a lot of people have been, it just doesn't seem to go away fully. So should I take them to the doctor? Keep them home? Dont worry? Go on with life? My sisters kids go to the same school, also not vaxed, but I haven't had a chance to talk to them yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wolfybaby
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:35 AM

virtually all whooping cough fatalities in the US have occured in infants 3 months and younger. i wouldnt worry! if they are sick right now, theres a possibility that it could be whooping cough, as it seems like a cold in the beginning. just dont freak out if they start getting the coughing fits. seeing you freak out will make them freak out even worse.

there are homeopathic and herbal remedies you can use. and, if i recall correctly, whooping cough shouldnt bring a fever. so if your kids have a fever, they probably dont have whooping cough. that, or they have a secondary infection. either way, dont treat the fever! 

sreichelt26
by Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:47 AM
Over 80% of cases are in those who are vaccinated. Definitely not worth it.

On top of what pp said.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Sodium Ascorbate can be used to help alleviate WC, and other illnesses as wellm but works esp well for WC...and from what i have been reading, theres a new strain of WC going around the vax doens't protect from..since your kids are older, i wouldn't worry if i were you.  The long term risks/effects of the vax that will NOT protect, are more likely  than a case of WC in normal healthy children.  If by three weeks from now, no whoop develops, their colds don't get worse, and coughing is not more severe,  it would be safe to say your kids don't have it.  

Amd with trees n flowers blooming, its possible your kids have seasonal allergies, and not an illness at all. 

Ichthus
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Just curious, why do you think most kids in your school are NOT vaxed?? That's unusual.

emmy526
by New Owner on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:53 AM

a ct mom i was talking to, when she registered her dd for school, the nurse made a comment about how many kids coming into school have exemptions..

Quoting Ichthus:

Just curious, why do you think most kids in your school are NOT vaxed?? That's unusual.

Choosing Not to VaccinateChoosing Not to Vaccinate-proud group owner

Ichthus
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Well, that's good that people are starting to open their eyes to what's going on. Most people I know do not listen; they let their trust in doctors and their fear of what they've been told close their minds to consider anything else. Why do you think these particular areas are more aware than usual?

GentleGoddess
by New Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:09 AM
It's a small alternative school. Some call it a 'hippie' school. It's not really. Maybe I shouldn't make assumptions like that, but most families there are natural and don't believe in that sort of stuff. Although it is getting bigger and more outside people are coming in. Lol I am trying not to make generalized statements and assumptions. Be all politicaly correct. I am not good at it. Lol.

Quoting Ichthus:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GentleGoddess
by New Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:20 AM
I dont think it is. They have had slight fevers, but seemed to come at night and accompany thier ears hurting. They just keep getting sick. It's not ending. Lol.
I was talking to a mom this morning and she was saying her girls are the same. But she said hers were vaxed, which surprised me, but anyway wondered if they could get symptoms of WC, but not WC. And if that was what it was. I said I wondered the same.
Then I was reading the Health Advisory thing the health board sent out to parents, and one thing was coughing and gagging and puking. Well my 5 yr old was doing that back in March. But not 'whooping', is it that much of a distinctive 'whoop'? And does it have to be treated with antibiotics? It won't go away on it's own?
So , yea, anyway, lol, I don't think that's it. But just wondering. I just don't want to get those scare tactic answers.

Quoting wolfybaby:

virtually all whooping cough fatalities in the US have occured in infants 3 months and younger. i wouldnt worry! if they are sick right now, theres a possibility that it could be whooping cough, as it seems like a cold in the beginning. just dont freak out if they start getting the coughing fits. seeing you freak out will make them freak out even worse.

there are homeopathic and herbal remedies you can use. and, if i recall correctly, whooping cough shouldnt bring a fever. so if your kids have a fever, they probably dont have whooping cough. that, or they have a secondary infection. either way, dont treat the fever! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GentleGoddess
by New Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Thank you. I did consider allergies. And with chocolate still lingering from Easter, we don't do dairy. And last weekend they had a sleepover with thier cousins, stayed up late eating pizza and cheeseies. So I am sure that added to it. The are just so
many factors.... If only it was so
simple. Lol My youngest is 2.5, so I
figure he is ok. We are in Canada, if that's makes a difference.
I will look into Sodium Ascorbate. Thank You.

Quoting emmy526:

Sodium Ascorbate can be used to help alleviate WC, and other illnesses as wellm but works esp well for WC...and from what i have been reading, theres a new strain of WC going around the vax doens't protect from..since your kids are older, i wouldn't worry if i were you.  The long term risks/effects of the vax that will NOT protect, are more likely  than a case of WC in normal healthy children.  If by three weeks from now, no whoop develops, their colds don't get worse, and coughing is not more severe,  it would be safe to say your kids don't have it.  

Amd with trees n flowers blooming, its possible your kids have seasonal allergies, and not an illness at all. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GentleGoddess
by New Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:44 AM
So it turns out we are already taking it :). I checked our vitamin C bottle and that's what it is. Lol 500 mg. So I think I will get more today and double up our doses. :D

Quoting emmy526:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)