Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New parents always crying on fb about taking kids for vax

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:08 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 480 Total Views

I'm in my late 20s, so a lot of my friends and family are having or already have little ones.  I get tired of always seeing whiny posts about "Oh, I just hate taking little xyz to get shots."  "Pray for us today; I'm taking xyz for first shots."

Almost no one, outside my mom and a few very close friends, know that we don't do any vaccines anymore.  Most people assume from my fb posts that I'm still into delayed schedule.  But, I'm very strong on advocating you research either way.

So, I have finally formulated a blanket response I'll be sending :)  Already sent it to one mom, who thinks I'm over the edge with so many things LOL

"I look at shots two ways--either you're doing what you feel is best for him and shouldn't feel bad about it, or you don't trust the shots and shouldn't be doing it. Either way, you can delay while researching to become confident in the decision. There is enough range in the CDC schedule for some delay."

Oh, she's quick! Her response "It's not that I don't trust the shots themselves, I hate that he will be hurt by them."  I don't like to scare people into not vaccinating, but if she read the insert for those shots, she would really be worried about HURTING him, as the DTaP lists SIDS as a possible side effect.  Ugh.  Advocacy is a fine line between offering information and pushing opinion.

But, someone else on her friends list agreed with my idea to delay some, that not all shots are created equal and that research is ALWAYS a good idea.

goveg.gif picture by lilbean08bgreen.gif picture by lilbean08
cosleeping.gif picture by lilbean08proudtobf.gif picture by lilbean08
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanut06
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I couldn't leave it alone, so I sent a couple more comments.  The first was a strong recommendation against giving Tylenol before "just in case" he gets a fever and that she should probably only bother with the meds if his fever gets too high, as fever within reason is a good reaction from the immune system.  But, that even if redness at injection site and fever were his only reactions, that she should officially report those things.

The second comment was that she thoroughly read the information sheets and ask questions.  It will either make you feel better about giving the shots or help you decide that some or all are not right for him right now.

kitty8199
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:22 AM
I had someone post a few weeks ago about being upset about shots. I told her I still have got any and DTaP lists SIDS in the package insert. She deleted it. She's in the medical field, too so you would think she may actually read it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ichthus
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:43 AM
2 moms liked this

That's a very good response. I may steal it. I may have added your thoughts you wrote here after she responded about not wanting him to hurt. At least you got some support from someone else! Maybe she'll think about it and research since more than one person encouraged it. It's so frustrating, though, that people don't heed the warnings we give!

Ichthus
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:46 AM

P.S. I hate those information sheets they give because the way they're written makes you feel more afraid of the disease than the shot. It's very propagandized.

rachelrothchild
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I usually tell the person they don't HAVE to do something they aren't comfortable with.

momma_gig
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:52 PM
2 moms liked this

i know exactly what you mean! what's worse is the "___ got his shots this morning and now he's running a fever. doctor says that's normal, so i gave him some tylenol" 

when will people learn that things that are good for you do NOT cause you to become ill! 

emmy526
by New Owner on May. 7, 2012 at 6:16 AM

they are brainwashed into thinking a 'little' form of the disease is good for junior, cuz dr said so, after all isnt' it better if Junior get a mild case of the disease thru vaccines, than to suffer horrible sickness, possible death and God forbid, loss of work for mom or dad (having to stay home and care for the sick child),  from having a child  being sick with chicken pox, hep a or b , diptheria, tetanus, measles, mumps, rubella...

Quoting momma_gig:

i know exactly what you mean! what's worse is the "___ got his shots this morning and now he's running a fever. doctor says that's normal, so i gave him some tylenol" 

when will people learn that things that are good for you do NOT cause you to become ill! 

Choosing Not to VaccinateChoosing Not to Vaccinate-proud group owner

OutlawMUA
by on May. 11, 2012 at 4:27 AM
I always comment with "poor baby, I'm so glad we don't have to deal with that!"

To which I almost always get "well I wouldn't but I don't plan on homeschooling" or "but your kids are in school! How did you get away with it?"

Oy. Always a chance to inform them of their right to not vax though..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on May. 11, 2012 at 6:04 AM
1 mom liked this

i think i'd have to reply, "there's no getting away with anything, if you know the law"

Quoting OutlawMUA:

I always comment with "poor baby, I'm so glad we don't have to deal with that!"

To which I almost always get "well I wouldn't but I don't plan on homeschooling" or "but your kids are in school! How did you get away with it?"

Oy. Always a chance to inform them of their right to not vax though..

Choosing Not to VaccinateChoosing Not to Vaccinate-proud group owner

AngryLittleLola
by New Member on May. 30, 2012 at 9:27 AM

My cousin who is just turning 18 and is 31wks pregnant with her 2ed child puts on her fb status last wk "uhg just took Arriella to the doc, she got 5 shots and is so cranky!" ....Ariiella is her 1st dd and is 1yr old..I have tried to talk to my cousin about vaccines but like the rest of my family they just wont listen they wont even read or look into any of it. They vaccinate thats all they know but they dont know or care whats in the vaccines or if they are safe or not...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)