Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My day of denying vaccines

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 467 Total Views

First, my dog had to go to the vet today. I told him not to give her the vaccines (she's not due for rabies for another year). I told him my SIL is a dog trainer, and she said dogs are overvaccinated. They don't need these shots every year. Of course, he said that "they" are finding that because dogs only live 12 years or so that it's like spreading them out by giving them every year (in comparison to humans getting vaxed every ten years). He had to tell me about how viruses can be passed from animals to people, and by vaxing my dog I'm protecting my children, too.

Then, my husband went to the doctor and found out he has shingles. The DR asked if our youngest daughter had been vaccinated for chicken pox, and he said no. She told him we probably want to get her vaxed so she doesn't get infected with it from him having shingles. I told him I want her to get Chicken Pox so she has natural immunity. She also told him he should have gotten the varicella vax booster. He had chicken pox as a kid, but apparently immunity wears off and getting the varicella vax will protect him from getting shingles again.

Lastly, my IL's came to town today. They shared that they got their shingles vax, so they're protected.

Ahhh!!! I felt so caught off guard trying to defend NOT vaccinating today! Tell me how you would have answered all of these people.

by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by New Owner on May. 10, 2012 at 6:29 AM
3 moms liked this

Well, for starters, immunity from chicken pox doesn't wear off, the virus stays dormant in your system until a trigger re-activates the virus in an adult, causing shingles. Stress and being around a cp/shingles vaxed person can cause an outbreak.. And neither vax is any guarantee of being protected from anything at all, and actually has been found to spread the illness it's meant to protect from...  Did you say that as well?   And about the inlaws, they do realize they are 'shedding' their shingles vax, and potentially infecting people, did you share that with them?   Once again, it just sounds like the typical dr wanting to push vaccines because that's what she was trained to do, she wasn't trained to really listen to patients' concerns with vaxing..she probably couldn't care less about someone's arguments or concerns, just as long as the patient complies..what was her reaction to your answer about your dd and cp?  And as far as the vet, it sounds like it would be pointless to even get into a discussion with him about animal vaccines..from the sounds of it, he's already brainwashed about it.  

Choosing Not to VaccinateChoosing Not to Vaccinate-proud group owner

Ichthus
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I wasn't at the Dr appt with my dh. He just didn't say anything about dd not being vaxed and me wanting her to get CP naturally. So I guess the Dr's idea is that if my dh gets the vax it keeps the dormant CP from being triggered again? Hm. I may find an opportunity to tell my ILs they're shedding. Maybe someone who dh was around recently was vaxed and that with the stress activated his shingles. And, oh yes, the vet would have been a waste of time! I think he could tell when I stopped being engaged in the conversation. My brain was trying to figure out how to respond, and I just completely shut down. Thanks for your response. I have learned all these things, but I was overwhelmed. You helped!

Quoting emmy526:

Well, for starters, immunity from chicken pox doesn't wear off, the virus stays dormant in your system until a trigger re-activates the virus in an adult, causing shingles. Stress and being around a cp/shingles vaxed person can cause an outbreak.. And neither vax is any guarantee of being protected from anything at all, and actually has been found to spread the illness it's meant to protect from...  Did you say that as well?   And about the inlaws, they do realize they are 'shedding' their shingles vax, and potentially infecting people, did you share that with them?   Once again, it just sounds like the typical dr wanting to push vaccines because that's what she was trained to do, she wasn't trained to really listen to patients' concerns with vaxing..she probably couldn't care less about someone's arguments or concerns, just as long as the patient complies..what was her reaction to your answer about your dd and cp?  And as far as the vet, it sounds like it would be pointless to even get into a discussion with him about animal vaccines..from the sounds of it, he's already brainwashed about it.  

FebPenguins
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Two things that really helped my mom when she had shingles was chiropractor treatments and some cream from Durham Bee farm (link)~made from bees in TN.

The other thing, don't be suprised if your little one does NOT get chicken pox. The dr freaked when he saw my under one year old in the room with my mom. He assured me that she would for sure get the pox. She is 5, and still hasn't gotten them!!

emmy526
by New Owner on May. 10, 2012 at 9:17 AM

my kids have been around my dh who has gotten shingles twice now, and they didnt' re-infect with pox, nor did they get shingles. 

Ichthus
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Thanks! I ordered some for him; it won't get here until Monday, but he's going to try it. :)

Quoting FebPenguins:

Two things that really helped my mom when she had shingles was chiropractor treatments and some cream from Durham Bee farm (link)~made from bees in TN.

The other thing, don't be suprised if your little one does NOT get chicken pox. The dr freaked when he saw my under one year old in the room with my mom. He assured me that she would for sure get the pox. She is 5, and still hasn't gotten them!!

FebPenguins
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Let me know how he likes it. I even used it on some pimples, cleared em in a day or two, very healing, soothing stuff!

Quoting Ichthus:

Thanks! I ordered some for him; it won't get here until Monday, but he's going to try it. :)

Quoting FebPenguins:

kitty8199
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM
What diseases pass from animal to human? I got something in the mail saying the dog needed its shots-trash can.
Shingles isn't from immunity wearing off. Its reactivation of the virus.
Way to go scare tactics, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ichthus
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 11:00 PM

The only one I remember him saying was H1N1. He listed others, but I don't remember what they were.

I guess the doctor explained shingles to him that way (I misunderstood), but my question is how is the varicella booster vaccine going to help? I guess it would work the same way the shingles vax is supposed to work?

Oh, and my MIL was fully aware that the vaccine sheds. They didn't seem to think that was a problem, though. *SMH*

Quoting kitty8199:

What diseases pass from animal to human? I got something in the mail saying the dog needed its shots-trash can.
Shingles isn't from immunity wearing off. Its reactivation of the virus.
Way to go scare tactics, lol.

booklover74
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I recently learned (on the CDCs website) that the shingles vaccine not only sheds but is only 49% effetive....at most. I'd have simply countered the doctors words with facts about shingles, what actually causes it and just how uneffective that vaccine is. It shouldn't but it really does amaze me how uneducated doctors are about basic illnesses and vaccines.

sreichelt26
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 12:26 AM

This is what I was going to bring up.

Quoting emmy526:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN