Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

An introduction and a vent.

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi everyone,

My name is Rhiannon and this is my first post. I'm 20 years old with an 18 month old son. So I am a young mother, but I am far from stupid.

I left home at 16 and have been with my SO since 16 as well. I am in school to be a doula and childbirth educator ( maybe someday a midwife ) and I recently went back to work and started my son in daycare..Which brought the subject of vaccines back to my attention. Something in my gut had been telling me that it was wrong and that I was vaccinating just because I was told that I have to. That is odd for me because I consider myself a very anti-establishment kind of girl. Not to say I am against something just because the masses are for it but that I don't do things just because I am told to. I research. I don't know how I fell for it for an entire year.

The guilt of giving my baby boy so many injections weighs heavily on my shoulders.. ( all through 12 month shots ) He hasn't had a serious reaction that I know of, I just know I was wrong to do it.

I am very into natural parenting. I went with a midwife my entire pregnancy only to end up loosing my out of hospital water birth and having to be given cervadil at the hospital to start induction. Aside from that I did not use painkillers or drugs for labor or birth.. I breastfeed my son still to this day, albeit a dwindling supply. I always try to go the holistic route when healing and I DEFINITLEY do not trust the government and drug companies to dictate what is going into my or my son's body. It is scary the way I see things headed. An age where we are all forced to self-medicate witht their drugs..It really bothers me.

Now, I am kind of drifting.. I guess the meaning of this post is a vent of my frustrations. I have always been so independent and I am struggling with my convictions as a parent. Struggling with my convictions for the first time. I know what is right and yet the pressure is on..  Maybe that is because I literally just had a discussion with my son's ped. for the second time about vaccines today. The last time she told me to check "reputable" sources from her little list of government/pharma websites.. I figured okay? she wants to play hardball.. we'll play.

I went in today with the information from the FDA and CDC websites and vaccine package inserts stating ingredients/adverse reactions, etc.. Not to mention much more factual info from MANY other "reputable" sources.

She refused to hear it. Refused to acknowledge what is CLEARLY stated right in the pamphlet..FROM THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THE VACCINES.

I guess this is how I feel.. Who are the real fear mongerers? The people working in a multi-billion dollar industry that they must maintain, or the parents, who are only advocates of their children? Parents with no "agenda"?

*sigh*

Sorry for such a long post.. Thanks for listening.

by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Replies (11-15):
kitty8199
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2012 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this
She's probably never read the info from her own sources.

Quoting Rhiannon92:

Thank you. I am looking for a new one now..

I know I can refuse..at least I know my rights. She always feels like she has to "inform me" when I go in though. I was hoping this time she would hear me out since she brought the discussion up.. Oh well :/

Even the info I pulled from HER sources wasn't good enough. Go figure.

Quoting emmy526:

Welcome! You should also seriously consider finding a new doc asap that won't blow off your concerns.  That is SO disrespectful to any parent, no matter what the question may be.  Maybe look for a family dr, as they are not so blind when it comes to vaccines, nor pushy either. And, you can always stop giving vaccines whenever YOU want, not when the dr says so.  Remember, some drs graduated at the bottom of their class for a reason.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on May. 15, 2012 at 6:22 AM

WOW are you lucky your medicaid will cover a chiro...mine won't...i'd be there in a heartbeat if mine did, tho. you should really give chiro a try...you just mite be pleasantly surprised how much better you and your son feel without all the medications reg drs push on people.  What can it hurt to try?  

Quoting Rhiannon92:

I do see what you are saying. By support, basically she just respects my right to choose but doesn't agree with my decision. She is okay with it but "must inform me".. So basically support by not refusing to see my son as a patient. It just sucks because her and I are on the same page about literally EVERYTHING but vaccines. When it comes to vaccines, I just won't be budged.

It is not the kind of doctor/family relationship I want, which is why I am looking elsewhere for overall health care! Hard to find a place close to me and unfortunatley I have Medicaid. Not too many good natural care providers who take that insurance. Who can blame them? ugh.

The chiro that I really like takes Medicaid but I'm not really sure how that works as a "family doctor"? 

I'll have to find something else as well.

Quoting emmy526:

So, it's more like she's saying, " I support whatever you choose, as long as I can come out on top of any discussin about the topic at hand"   How does she show her support for you on your right to say no to vaccines?  

Quoting Rhiannon92:

I agree..

The hard part is that she does support my right to say no and she is very nice and polite. We agree on practically everything BUT vaccines.

She totally wouldn't believe the information I got from her sources. So no, there was no real discussion. Just her telling me I am wrong. :/

I'll probably just get a new doc and leave her be though.

Choosing Not to VaccinateChoosing Not to Vaccinate-proud group owner

AJMRmom
by Member on May. 15, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Emmy, have you called your medicaid "clearing house" inquiring about chiros? My chiro and new DO I"m seeing BOTH take my medicaid.

Quoting emmy526:

WOW are you lucky your medicaid will cover a chiro...mine won't...i'd be there in a heartbeat if mine did, tho. you should really give chiro a try...you just mite be pleasantly surprised how much better you and your son feel without all the medications reg drs push on people.  What can it hurt to try?  

Quoting Rhiannon92:

I do see what you are saying. By support, basically she just respects my right to choose but doesn't agree with my decision. She is okay with it but "must inform me".. So basically support by not refusing to see my son as a patient. It just sucks because her and I are on the same page about literally EVERYTHING but vaccines. When it comes to vaccines, I just won't be budged.

It is not the kind of doctor/family relationship I want, which is why I am looking elsewhere for overall health care! Hard to find a place close to me and unfortunatley I have Medicaid. Not too many good natural care providers who take that insurance. Who can blame them? ugh.

The chiro that I really like takes Medicaid but I'm not really sure how that works as a "family doctor"? 

Quoting emmy526:

So, it's more like she's saying, " I support whatever you choose, as long as I can come out on top of any discussin about the topic at hand"   How does she show her support for you on your right to say no to vaccines?  

Quoting Rhiannon92:

I agree..

The hard part is that she does support my right to say no and she is very nice and polite. We agree on practically everything BUT vaccines.

She totally wouldn't believe the information I got from her sources. So no, there was no real discussion. Just her telling me I am wrong. :/

emmy526
by New Owner on May. 15, 2012 at 8:10 AM

i have been calling for years...my state stopped paying chiro's, naturpath's, osteopath's, and acupuncture..they USED to pay for it, but since they get more money from allopathic medicine, the state decided the piddly pennies they got for chiro's, etc, weren't worth it, cuz theres no scripts to fill with those kinds of care...i've thought about filing a class action suit against the state for taking away MY healthcare choices, and forcing them to pay for care some of us consider to be life saving. I'd need at least several thousand people to join me , tho...not an easy fight.  And there's no DO around here anymore either..he moved away...boooooooooooooo

Quoting AJMRmom:

Emmy, have you called your medicaid "clearing house" inquiring about chiros? My chiro and new DO I"m seeing BOTH take my medicaid.

Quoting emmy526:

Quoting Rhiannon92:

Quoting emmy526:

Quoting Rhiannon92:

I agree..

Choosing Not to VaccinateChoosing Not to Vaccinate-proud group owner

AJMRmom
by Member on May. 15, 2012 at 8:22 PM

That really stinks, and there are VERY few DOs in this area, and the one I started seeing will NOT normally accept new patients with medicaid but thankfully through seeing my chiropractor and self-paying the nutritionist in there, she communicated to him that I was SEVERELY vitamin deficient particularly in b12 with a ferritin level (iron stores should be 50+ at the bare minimum) of only 3!!! When she told him and that my CNP I was seeing refused the b12 injections and kept making me take iron pills....he accepted me immediately......

Also, the naturopathic in the local nutrition store and I talk a great deal about this stuff and how it sucks big time. He indicated that several doctors in this area utilize that store and do not vaccinate!! UUGH!

Quoting emmy526:

i have been calling for years...my state stopped paying chiro's, naturpath's, osteopath's, and acupuncture..they USED to pay for it, but since they get more money from allopathic medicine, the state decided the piddly pennies they got for chiro's, etc, weren't worth it, cuz theres no scripts to fill with those kinds of care...i've thought about filing a class action suit against the state for taking away MY healthcare choices, and forcing them to pay for care some of us consider to be life saving. I'd need at least several thousand people to join me , tho...not an easy fight.  And there's no DO around here anymore either..he moved away...boooooooooooooo

Quoting AJMRmom:

Quoting emmy526:

Quoting Rhiannon92:

Quoting emmy526:

Quoting Rhiannon92:

I agree..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN