Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Our state has 2 exemptions but our school district...

Posted by on May. 19, 2012 at 8:44 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 252 Total Views
I live in PA and we currently have 2 exemptions (I think there were 3 at one point) anyhow, in the paper and on the news were reports that the school district that we live within, will not allow any children in that are not vaccinated. Now I know all about scare tactics and I tried telling people it's not true and as long as they have an exemption they would be fine etc... Everyone is arguing its a new law, if I'm not mistaken a public school funded by the government has to abide by state laws, right? It doesn't go district to district and what they prefer. Correct?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 19, 2012 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sreichelt26
by Member on May. 19, 2012 at 8:49 AM
You are correct.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fahmom
by on May. 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Quoting sreichelt26:

You are correct.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on May. 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM

You are correct, and what you say is scare tactics and fearmongering on the news part...not surprised..you should call that station and tell them to do a retraction since they gave inaccurate information.  State law, is state law, no matter what.   I think PA took the philsophical exemption away, and now it just medical or religious. 

snowangel1979
by Member on May. 19, 2012 at 6:02 PM
Correct.
They can "try" to make it school policy, but state or federal law trumps any policy they make.

The news always "conveniently" forgets to add unless you have an exemption form filled out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I live in PA and it is medical or religious but our religious is very liveral.  It's strong religious, moral, or ethical beleifs, which is a philosophical reason, kwim?

AJMRmom
by Member on May. 23, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Public schools are funded by states, but due to NCLB, there are many programs that the government funds and makes stipulations for receiving these funds; however, school districts cannot disregard state law; therefore, I'd suggest going to your state department of education and finding literature related to vaccine exemption.

AJMRmom
by Member on May. 23, 2012 at 8:31 AM

EXACTLY! I have some family members who always have this or that story to tell me. They always say about school forms and papers that say they HAVE to have their vaccines up to date, or their vaccination records. They are absolutely beside themselves as to HOW my little guy goes to school without being vaccinated, after all her granddaughter (may great aunt's) had to catch up on 4 vaccinations before they'd even let her go to her first day of school. UGH!!! DUH, that's because they didnt' have an exemption and vaccinate. IF they vaccinate they have to be up to date; otherwise, bring the darn exemption:)

Quoting snowangel1979:

Correct.
They can "try" to make it school policy, but state or federal law trumps any policy they make.

The news always "conveniently" forgets to add unless you have an exemption form filled out

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)