Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Flu vaccine or my job...

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 12:18 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 443 Total Views

The hospital I work for has mandated flu vaccines this year.  They give no option of wearing a mask as an alternative.  Does anyone have any ideas for me so I can keep my job and not get the flu shot???  Thanks!

by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
banana-bear
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this
What a bunch of bullshit! Why should someone's job be on the line if they choose not to get a shot? The only thing the flu shot does is GIVE YOU THE FLU. *eye roll*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moneysaver6
by New Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Unfortunatley, you'll likely have to seek legal counsel to fight this.  It's been done before...good luck!  Sorry, Mama.  It's things like this that make me glad I'm not currently working as a nurse.

gushybean
by New Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 8:17 PM

There was a big article in my nursing mag this quarter about the joint comm requiring it of all magent hospitals. :(

jlc91
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Quoting moneysaver6:

Unfortunatley, you'll likely have to seek legal counsel to fight this.  It's been done before...good luck!  Sorry, Mama.  It's things like this that make me glad I'm not currently working as a nurse.

The thing that's so ridiculous about this is that EVERYONE in the health system has to get the flu shot--even if they work in an office off campus and never see patients.  I can understand why the uneducated public thinks the flu shot should be mandatory for nurses/doctors treating patients (even though we all know it's unnecessary and ineffective), but for office/ancillary staff?!  And the letter they sent out talks more about "reducing workplace absenteeism due to influenza-related illness" more than it talks about supposedly improving patient health/safety.  GRRRR!

banana-bear
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Seriously, it's the FLU! A severe cold. Nothing life threatening!! I would never expect the hospital/doctor staff to get the flu shot - even when I still vaxed. (of course, I never did the flu shot, even when I vaxed.)

emmy526
by New Owner on Aug. 7, 2012 at 6:37 AM

I know in NYC the nurses union fought a  mandatory flu vaccine and they won..

lilbosslady1978
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM

What a bunch of crap!!

mommyqua
by Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Let me see what information I can get from my uncle. He went to nursing school and is NOW a nurse and he refused to get the flu vaccine along with the other ones they wanted him to get. He told me that if a hospital or school accepts ANY goverment funding than it is your right to choose NOT to get vaccinated!

jlc91
by Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Quoting mommyqua:

Let me see what information I can get from my uncle. He went to nursing school and is NOW a nurse and he refused to get the flu vaccine along with the other ones they wanted him to get. He told me that if a hospital or school accepts ANY goverment funding than it is your right to choose NOT to get vaccinated!

Thanks so much!  I've been googling to find help, but the state I live in doesn't seem to have any loopholes yet.  (A few big health systems started the mandatory flu vax policy last year and it made national news that there was no way to avoid it.) 

rachelrothchild
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 11:49 AM
I'm so glad I don't work in a hospital or clinic. That is bs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)