Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Local outbreak of chicken pox

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 4:50 PM
  • 21 Replies
  • 613 Total Views

So we have 4 schools in our county who have confirmed Chicken Pox cases.  One of the 4 is considered "outbreak" and kids are being excluded if they are not vaccinated unless the parents give consent to vaccinate them at the school.  They are calling it an "odd" outbreak because majority (if not all) of the children have been vaccinated that are getting it. 

http://mywabashvalley.com/fulltext?nxd_id=274792 

They quote a few times that it is "Indiana Law" to be vaccinated, but I'm pretty sure Indiana does not have a "law" saying kids have to be vaccinated.  I thought it was only a requirement for school unless you have an exemption.  

Anyway, I'm just waiting for it to hit my youngest son's school.  He's in preschool and could be looking at a vacation from school.  Which I hate only because he is starting to make progress in the developmental preschool program but he could be excluded for a month or more if his school ends up with an "outbreak" (5 or more children diagnosed).  I'm wondering if this round of chicken pox could be a different strain and that is why so many are getting it.  And if so, why would I vaccinate him with a vaccine that clearly is not working?  Plus, he will probably be exposed before the vaccine could take effect anyway. 

by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 5:07 PM
If a he has officially been diagnosed with cp in the past or if a titer shows positive immunity, you should be able to keep him in school. I think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
levsenmommy
by Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 5:09 PM

He's never Chicken Pox and I doubt he would have an immunity from it right now.

emmy526
by New Owner on Oct. 26, 2012 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

it does seem ridiculous that an outbreak is occurring in vaxed kids, yet they want kids to get the vax anyways...kinda like the whooping cough debacle going on...if you can, keep an eye on health dept stats on how many vaxed versus unvaxed caught it. You mite be able to call the health dept and ask directly.  And it's normal for shcools to use the ploy of get vaccinated or be excluded, with no mention at all of exemptions.  amybe they figure if parents are savvy enough to exemptions, then there's no need to mention them, since it mite cause an uptick in exemptions being handed in, and more parents questioning what's going on.  

levsenmommy
by Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 5:54 PM

They are saying though, it doesn't matter if you have an exemption, your child still has to be excluded if there is an "outbreak".  We have a Religious Exemption on file at my son's school. 

jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 5:59 PM
I know that's true for other exemptions, hopefully it's not true if the the child has proven immunity. I really don't know though.

Quoting levsenmommy:

They are saying though, it doesn't matter if you have an exemption, your child still has to be excluded if there is an "outbreak".  We have a Religious Exemption on file at my son's school. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on Oct. 26, 2012 at 6:05 PM

the law does not specify anywhere about titers showing immunity...which sucks...and is really dumb, imo..

https://chirp.in.gov/chirp_files/docs/School%20Imm%20Req%20FAQS%202008-2009V2.pdf

Quoting jellyphish:

I know that's true for other exemptions, hopefully it's not true if the the child has proven immunity. I really don't know though.

Quoting levsenmommy:

Choosing Not to VaccinateChoosing Not to Vaccinate-proud group owner

levsenmommy
by Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 8:24 PM

26. Is a doctor’s statement required as proof of chickenpox disease?
A. No, documentation from a parent is sufficient. A written statement should include the
date of the disease, a parent’s signature, and date of signature. Example: If a parent
cannot recall exact dates, something as simple as stating that disease occurred in the
spring of 2000 is acceptable.

28. If a child has an exemption on file, may he/she be counted as complete?
A. No. If a child has an exemption on file for any immunization, he/she cannot be
considered complete on immunizations even if all other immunizations for which no
exemption exists are complete. Parents should be informed that a child with an exemption
on file will be excluded from school in the event of an outbreak of the disease for which the
child is unvaccinated.

kailu1835
by Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

All states have exemptions to their "law" for vaccination.  Too bad you're in Indiana, I'd love for my kids to be exposed.

kailu1835
by Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I have never had chicken pox, or the vaccine.  When I was 22 and tested for immunity because I was pregnant, I was immune.  Same when I was pregnant with my daughter 4 years ago.

Quoting levsenmommy:

babiesbabybaby development

levsenmommy
by Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I just assume since he's 3 it is unlikely he has been exposed.  However, definitely would request a titer before considering a vaccination.  I really hope he just gets it and gets it over with before people (like my family, Dr, ect) have time to start pestering me about him not being vaccinated so I can say "oops, too late!"

Quoting kailu1835:

I have never had chicken pox, or the vaccine.  When I was 22 and tested for immunity because I was pregnant, I was immune.  Same when I was pregnant with my daughter 4 years ago.

Quoting levsenmommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)