Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Local outbreak of chicken pox

Posted by   + Show Post

So we have 4 schools in our county who have confirmed Chicken Pox cases.  One of the 4 is considered "outbreak" and kids are being excluded if they are not vaccinated unless the parents give consent to vaccinate them at the school.  They are calling it an "odd" outbreak because majority (if not all) of the children have been vaccinated that are getting it. 

http://mywabashvalley.com/fulltext?nxd_id=274792 

They quote a few times that it is "Indiana Law" to be vaccinated, but I'm pretty sure Indiana does not have a "law" saying kids have to be vaccinated.  I thought it was only a requirement for school unless you have an exemption.  

Anyway, I'm just waiting for it to hit my youngest son's school.  He's in preschool and could be looking at a vacation from school.  Which I hate only because he is starting to make progress in the developmental preschool program but he could be excluded for a month or more if his school ends up with an "outbreak" (5 or more children diagnosed).  I'm wondering if this round of chicken pox could be a different strain and that is why so many are getting it.  And if so, why would I vaccinate him with a vaccine that clearly is not working?  Plus, he will probably be exposed before the vaccine could take effect anyway. 

by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Replies (21-21):
levsenmommy
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:38 PM

This all gets stranger and stranger.  Okay, so on Tuesday (school was closed on Monday for Veteran's Day)  I called early and left a message that my son would not be a school because of the exclusion.  His preschool teacher called me about an hour later and said that the school (his preschool is through the Special Ed district in my area and housed in an Elementary School) has not had any cases yet so he doesn't have to be excluded.  But, if they get one confirmed case, he has to stay out 21 days from the LAST case.  So, if one case is diagnosed and he is excluded 21 days and on day 20 there is another case, he's out for another 21 days and so on.

Okay, so I had this Mom who said that her 3 year old in one of the other preschools was required to get another chicken pox shot (he's had the first one, the 2nd isn't due until 4-6 years) or he has to be excluded.  She called her son's Dr who said no.  He woudn't give it early.  Mom called the school and was told that was okay, they have nurses in the school that will do it.  She told the school, if her and her child's Dr felt it was not appropriate to give it early, he would have to be excluded.  HOWEVER, another parent whose son is around 7, got her son's first chicken pox vaccine 4 days before his first birthday.  She was told that one didn't count and had to get her son TWO MORE to be "current".  Why can a 3 year old get it 6-12 months early and be "current" but a child who got it 4 days early is not?  I'm so confused!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)