Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Influenza Vaccine Provides Extra Heart Benefit (bullshit)

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 6:24 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 596 Total Views

Aaaagghhh!! This crap makes me sick. They'll come up with any bullshit to convince people to get the flu shot.

Influenza Vaccine Provides Extra Heart Benefit

Getting the flu shot can do more than protect you from flu. It may even ward off cardiac events like heart attack and stroke. Here's what you need to know.

SUNDAY, Oct. 28, 2012 — By now you probably know the influenza vaccine is your best bet for getting through the fall and winter flu-free. But for some people, the flu shot can offer an additional health perk.

Research presented today at the 2012 Canadian Cardiovascular Congress in Toronto suggests the influenza vaccine can prevent strokes and heart attacks in people with or without heart disease.

The flu vaccine lowered risk of major cardiac events (like heart attacks, strokes, or cardiac deaths) by 50 percent compared to a placebo after a one-year period, found a review of published clinical trials dating as far back as the 1960s. Lead study author Jacob Udell, MD, a cardiologist at Women's College Hospital and the University of Toronto, and his team, also noted a similar lower risk for all-cause death, by about 40 percent.

While Dr. Udell thinks a larger study could further demonstrate the flu shot's benefits for heart health, according to a release from the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada, he said the results support current recommendations for influenza vaccination of people who have had heart attacks.

These are important data which confirm and extend previous observations, says William Schaffner, MD, a professor of preventive medicine at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tenn.

"When you think about it, the influenza vaccine is the biggest bargain in prevention and in all of medicine," he says.

Dr. Schaffner didn't work on the study, but as the immediate past president of the National Foundation for Infectious Diseases (NFID), he is enthusiastic about the findings.

"It's not generally well known among physicians or the general public that influenza vaccines extend beyond preventing just influenza, so I find it exciting that these data are out there," he says. While Schaffner can't say for sure why more doctors don't know the importance of the flu vaccine for heart health, he says we tend to compartmentalize when we think about flu vaccine. It does its job, which is to prevent flu, so we stop there.Data suggesting lower risks of cardiac events are scattered throughout literature, and "no one has brought them together in such strong fashion."

How Exactly Does the Flu Vaccine Protect the Heart?

The way it works is a bit speculative, says Schaffner, but if you've ever had the flu you know you know it's nothing to sneeze at.

"It's not well-recognized that the flu is a systemic illness. It doesn't just affect the lung," he says. "When such a severe illness occurs a number of the body's other organ systems also are adversely affected."

He suspects the influenza vaccine, by preventing the flu, prevent these other associated adverse events.

The Importance of Being Vaccinated

"If no other group, cardiologists should make sure their patients are well-vaccinated against influenza each and every year," Schaffner says. "In general if these findings were better known among the profession, they would make all doctors even more enthusiastic about promoting influenza vaccine for all patients."

In addition to the flu shot, Schaffner recommends people at risk of heart disease and stroke get the pneumococcal vaccine to prevent pneumonia, a complication of flu.

by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by New Owner on Oct. 29, 2012 at 6:46 PM

yep, more bullshit...so, protect your heart while at the same time sacrificing your brain cells with other chemicals in the vaccine?  

Baby4us09
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I bet if you go to your doctor and tell them you injested the same ingredients as in the FLU vax that they will flip out .

rachelrothchild
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

If the flu shot did actually prevent the flu, maybe this theory would hold water.  I call bullshit.

mjrex87
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

How in the world can they tell if something reduces the risk of cardiac events over a one year period?! That's ridiculous. What a happy coincidence that people in the control group had more cardiac events in that one measly year. SMH.

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM
I love how they can't explain how. Just flu affects more than your lungs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma_gig
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:46 AM

I wasn't sure whether to laugh or scream at the computer after reading the first line. The flu shot is your best bet? How about a good (healthy) diet, lots of water, lots of vitamin C, vit D, and zinc. 

The rest just sounds like someone making something up. 

momma_gig
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL My husband was laughing at this, too. His input was this: "Seatbelts protect your heart because they keep you alive during a crash, therefore keeping your heart pumping." 

gmapoohz
by Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I didn't see the source of the article - can you provide that ?

Thanks.

Gma Poohz

MrsApple
by Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 8:08 PM

So,they have no flipping clue if or how it does,yet they're telling people it does!And people wonder why we question these people *rolls eyes*

LovemyQ
by Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 8:09 PM
He suspects the influenza vaccine, by preventing the flu, prevent these other associated adverse events. So, it is not the vaccine, but the lack of illness that protects the heart. They certainly make it sound like the vaccine itself has benefits.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)