Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tetanus shot for a scorpion sting?!?!

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 1165 Total Views
My bro called me last night seeking advice for a scorpion sting. He said he called poison control and thy told him to get a tetanus shot!! Ugh!! They said since scorps are wild they could carry it. I told him it can't survive where there is oxygen and he joined me in a scoff and eyeroll to poison control. I just can't believe they're telling people to get tetanus shots for the most asinine things!!

Scraped with glass? Shot!
Bug bite? Shot!
Splinter? Shot!
Hang nail? Ingrown hair? Stub your toe? Shot shot shot!

Jeezy creezy!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Baby4us09
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Oh yes. Even now my DH is making fun of it and he doesnt' entirely agree with me. He had to get them because he is still in the service. I am out so I don't need to worry anymore but still wonder when I go into the VA for checkups.

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 9:13 AM
Tetanus shot for everything it's like they don't know what causes it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SAHM927
by Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM
AND when you get the "tetanus" shot, it is usually DTAP, but they will not tell you that unless you are over 50.
Ichthus
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Thanks, jellyphish, for the laugh!laughing

emmy526
by New Owner on Nov. 11, 2012 at 6:35 AM

they seem to think a tetanus shot is a cure all for any broken skin injury...as if a tetanus shot is going to magically clear everything all up....smh...they give them out like candy.

Isabelles_mommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:03 AM

lol, yeah I think the last time I had a tetanus shot i was a teen. My child has never had it ever, and she's had her fair share of scrapes, bumps and bruises, she even stepped on a rusty fish hook when she was 2. I made sure to make it bleed and kept it clean and gave a Homeopathic remedy for puncture wounds called Ledium. She didn't die or got sick.

Ever read the reactions from the CDC website?

"

What are the risks from DTaP vaccine?

Getting diphtheria, tetanus or pertussis disease is much riskier than getting DTaP vaccine.

However, a vaccine, like any medicine, is capable of causing serious problems, such as severe allergic reactions. The risk of DTaP vaccine causing serious harm, or death, is extremely small.

Mild Problems (Common)

• Fever (up to about 1 child in 4)
  • Redness or swelling where the shot was given (up to about 1 child in 4)
  • Soreness or tenderness where the shot was given (up to about 1 child in 4)

These problems occur more often after the 4th and 5th doses of the DTaP series than after earlier doses.

Sometimes the 4th or 5th dose of DTaP vaccine is followed by swelling of the entire arm or leg in which the shot was given, for 1 to 7 days (up to about 1 child in 30).

Other mild problems include:

• Fussiness (up to about 1 child in 3)
  • Tiredness or poor appetite (up to about 1 child in 10)
  • Vomiting (up to about 1 child in 50)

These problems generally occur 1 to 3 days after the shot.

Moderate Problems (Uncommon)

• Seizure (jerking or staring) (about 1 child out of 14,000)
  • Non-stop crying, for 3 hours or more (up to about 1 child out of 1,000)
  • High fever, 105 degrees Fahrenheit or higher (about 1 child out of 16,000)

Severe Problems (Very Rare)
Serious allergic reaction (less than 1 out of a million doses) Several other severe problems have been reported after DTaP vaccine. These include:

• Long-term seizures, coma, or lowered consciousness
  • Permanent brain damage.

These are so rare it is hard to tell if they are caused by the vaccine.

Controlling fever is especially important for children who have had seizures, for any reason. It is also important if another family member has had seizures.

You can reduce fever and pain by giving your child an aspirin-free pain reliever when the shot is given, and for the next 24 hours, following the package instructions.

This information was taken directly from the DTaP VIS Adobe Acrobat print-friendly PDF file [PDF - 59 KB]
(This information taken from DTaP VIS dated 5/17/07. If the actual VIS is more recent than this date, the information on this page needs to be updated.)"

I'm sure they don't tell you all of the risks or side effects

top of page

superwoman8977
by Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I kind of agree that if the skin is punctured you should watch for lockjaw.  My dad had the beginning stages of it when he got cut on some metal at the school he was working at.  He almost lost his finger and had a 2 day stay in the hospital.  I dont wish lockjaw on my worst enemy plus they had to cut his wedding ring off.

jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 6:00 PM
Sure if it's the right kind of wound. Hell, if it's the right kind of would id get a TIG shot! But a freakin' scorpion bite has zero possibility of causing tetanus.

Quoting superwoman8977:

I kind of agree that if the skin is punctured you should watch for lockjaw.  My dad had the beginning stages of it when he got cut on some metal at the school he was working at.  He almost lost his finger and had a 2 day stay in the hospital.  I dont wish lockjaw on my worst enemy plus they had to cut his wedding ring off.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)