Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about the ER - just in case

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:35 AM
  • 15 Replies
  • 483 Total Views
So dd is almost 7mos old and crawling and climbing everywhere. My husband and I were discussing our plan as to what would happen if she ever needed to be taken to the hospital and realized we don't know what to expect. It's not an idea I like to think about, but we would rather be prepared then make the wrong decision under duress. How does the ER handle unvaccinated children? Does my signature on a general consent to treat form allow them to administer shots they might deem necessary? I'm referring to not life threatening events..stitches, sprains, breaks, etc. How do I make sure they don't just decide to bring her up to date?

Edit: My husband can be a bit of a space cadet at times, but it was he who first asked this question. He's proud of himself, lol, so I thought I'd give him some credit. (Men are so silly. Haha)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma_gig
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:42 AM

It really depends on the nurses/doctors. My kids are fully unvaxed and we haven't really had a problem. Most nurses and doctors ask, and then don't question it. Some have tried the whole "it's my professional opinion that you vaccinate". There was only one that tried to push us into tetanus shot and it was last year when our son cut his head open on a wooden door frame. I told her that it was inside, so I'm not worried about tetanus and she was like "tetanus is EVERYWHERE!" Umm ok, doc. Lol Just stand your ground and you should be fine. They can't do anything without your permission and signature. If they do, it's malpractice and you can go after them.  

Clh1989
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I lie and say that we are delaying vaccines due to a family history of adverse reactions. They haven't asked any questions after that. It's not worth getting into at the ER IMO, and this seems to stop the conversations.
themissheather
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Ok, so they're just pushy. I can deal with that. DH and I were worried that if we signed a general form they could do it without express consent from us.

Quoting momma_gig:

It really depends on the nurses/doctors. My kids are fully unvaxed and we haven't really had a problem. Most nurses and doctors ask, and then don't question it. Some have tried the whole "it's my professional opinion that you vaccinate". There was only one that tried to push us into tetanus shot and it was last year when our son cut his head open on a wooden door frame. I told her that it was inside, so I'm not worried about tetanus and she was like "tetanus is EVERYWHERE!" Umm ok, doc. Lol Just stand your ground and you should be fine. They can't do anything without your permission and signature. If they do, it's malpractice and you can go after them.  

momma_gig
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I've honesty never thought about that. But those forms that you sign are for treatment, NOT preventative measures-- which vaccines are.  

Quoting themissheather:

Ok, so they're just pushy. I can deal with that. DH and I were worried that if we signed a general form they could do it without express consent from us.

Quoting momma_gig:

themissheather
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:55 AM
We were considering just lying as well and saying she was up to date. I'm sure it's easier.

Quoting Clh1989:

I lie and say that we are delaying vaccines due to a family history of adverse reactions. They haven't asked any questions after that. It's not worth getting into at the ER IMO, and this seems to stop the conversations.
themissheather
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:56 AM
That's a good point. They're not treatment. Lol I has never thought about THAT.

Quoting momma_gig:

I've honesty never thought about that. But those forms that you sign are for treatment, NOT preventative measures-- which vaccines are.  

Quoting themissheather:

Quoting momma_gig:

momma_gig
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Yay for helping each other think! LOL 

Quoting themissheather:

That's a good point. They're not treatment. Lol I has never thought about THAT.

Quoting momma_gig:

Quoting themissheather:

Quoting momma_gig:

emmy526
by New Owner on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:30 AM

i've never had any problems...i think it depends more on the place, and what kind of attitude they have about it at that time.  For us, once they heard, religious exemption, any more talk of vaccines was over.  If you should be in the situation where you need an ER, put on the consent form that you are signing, that NO vaccines are to be administered without WRITTEN CONSENT, since they are not a treatment, but a prophylactic. 

eykelley
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 6:42 AM
As PP said, it just depends. I have been fortunate so far.
Ds has been to the hospital 2 times (other than birth) and dd just turned 10 weeks today. Both times he was there, they asked if he was up to date, I said "no. We don't vaccinate". And that was the end. Didn't hear another word about it.
Dd is the same. When she was born they asked, I answered, they left it alone.

All I can say is be prepared to stand your ground. They can be vicious! :(
themissheather
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:05 PM
That's a great idea to just alter the form. Thank you.

Quoting emmy526:

i've never had any problems...i think it depends more on the place, and what kind of attitude they have about it at that time.  For us, once they heard, religious exemption, any more talk of vaccines was over.  If you should be in the situation where you need an ER, put on the consent form that you are signing, that NO vaccines are to be administered without WRITTEN CONSENT, since they are not a treatment, but a prophylactic. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)