Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about the ER - just in case

So dd is almost 7mos old and crawling and climbing everywhere. My husband and I were discussing our plan as to what would happen if she ever needed to be taken to the hospital and realized we don't know what to expect. It's not an idea I like to think about, but we would rather be prepared then make the wrong decision under duress. How does the ER handle unvaccinated children? Does my signature on a general consent to treat form allow them to administer shots they might deem necessary? I'm referring to not life threatening events..stitches, sprains, breaks, etc. How do I make sure they don't just decide to bring her up to date?

Edit: My husband can be a bit of a space cadet at times, but it was he who first asked this question. He's proud of himself, lol, so I thought I'd give him some credit. (Men are so silly. Haha)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Replies (11-15):
themissheather
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:24 PM
My pedi was very aggressive with me, so I have become aware of their tactics. I find it very sad and disheartening how many doctors have an attitude of superiority and are no longer open to debate. I'm glad that you had no issues when you had to go.

Quoting eykelley:

As PP said, it just depends. I have been fortunate so far.

Ds has been to the hospital 2 times (other than birth) and dd just turned 10 weeks today. Both times he was there, they asked if he was up to date, I said "no. We don't vaccinate". And that was the end. Didn't hear another word about it.

Dd is the same. When she was born they asked, I answered, they left it alone.

All I can say is be prepared to stand your ground. They can be vicious! :(
graycalico
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM
When I took my ds in for something they asked. I just said we were delaying and they left it at that.
themissheather
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:40 PM
Good to know that no one has had a major issue.

Quoting graycalico:

When I took my ds in for something they asked. I just said we were delaying and they left it at that.
snowangel1979
by Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:39 AM
When they ask is he or she up to date, I've always answered It's against our religious beliefs. They have never said anything after that.
I think as soon as you say religion, it ends the conversion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on Nov. 10, 2012 at 6:03 AM

not always...when some parents say a religious exemption, some 'authorities' try to question the parent, and in an UN-Consitutional way, as well.  Unknowing parents are subjected to medical grilling about their beliefs, and willingly answer them, not knowing their rights are being violated.  WIC and social service agencies in particular are guilty of this practice. 

Quoting snowangel1979:

When they ask is he or she up to date, I've always answered It's against our religious beliefs. They have never said anything after that.
I think as soon as you say religion, it ends the conversion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN