Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you be concerned..

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:45 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 338 Total Views
With keeping your newborn away from a recently vaccinated 12 month old? I can't remember which shots are given at 12 months off the top of my head, but for some reason it's ringing in my head they shed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
BlessingsMama
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Yes. If the child was given the usual cocktail of vaccinations for his/her age. There are live viruses given typically at 12 or 15 months. I think it is the MMR and Varicella that are the concerns for shedding.

themissheather
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd be concerned. Just what PP said - MMR and chickenpox are live viruses. I find it ridiculous that one of the reasons the vaccinate everyone is too protect the babies that are too young, but then they give live virus shots to young kids around them.
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:56 PM
Ok thanks ladies, that's what I thought.
emma0828
by Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I'm not as concerned because I breastfeed and have immunity to both( I had chickenpox as a kid and have titers for MMR) and my baby would be protected through breastmilk...but, still it'd be ideal not to have them around. I usually wasn't told though by a friend of mine that her son was recently vaxxed and my kids have never had issues after...

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Yes I breastfeeding to, and the only reason I know of the vax is because my due date is on my friends sons first b day, so it's logical to assume he will be newly vaccinated sometime in the immediate time frame that my baby is brand new.

Quoting emma0828:

I'm not as concerned because I breastfeed and have immunity to both( I had chickenpox as a kid and have titers for MMR) and my baby would be protected through breastmilk...but, still it'd be ideal not to have them around. I usually wasn't told though by a friend of mine that her son was recently vaxxed and my kids have never had issues after...

kailu1835
by Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Yes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)