Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tetnus and cat scratch

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 6:17 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 232 Total Views
A neighbors cat scratched my 5 year old DD earlier. The cat is an.indoor/ outdoor cat and the owners say he's up to date on all his shots. My DD had her shots up to 6 months old but none since then. It did bleed a little and I cleaned it with soap and water and put neosporian on it. My DH thinks we should take her to the ER just in case but I don't think its needed especially since she has a waiver for her shots and they would be able to do anything but dora it anyways. He's really worried about it and I'm just trying to ease his fears. Just need some opinions. Thanks! Btw it was a tiny scratch...like maybe a centimeter or 2 long...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Tetanus is not possible Ina wound that is exposed to oxygen. It can only happen in a deep puncture wound.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on Nov. 13, 2012 at 7:10 PM

and how likely is it the cat had tetanus spores in her claws? do you all live on or near farm land where horses are? Tetanus lives mainly in horse dung.  Your husband needs to educate himself on tetanus, and any other childhood illness he is unsure of, since he was so willing to run your dd to the ER in a moments notice for a small scratch.  The only thing you're likely to get at the ER is a lecture about your unvaxed child, and a band aid for the scratch....of course, the flip side, the hospital would want to test your dd for EVERYTHING under the sun, simply because of her nonvax status.  That has happened to parents too, spinal tap for minor ear infection, invasive blood tests for an earache, scare tactics on parents used, claiming it might be this or that illness...get the pic?

campinHeather
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 7:44 PM
We have cats. The absolute worst thing she could get is cat scratch fever, and that is visibly obvious. I THINK it is one of the few things you do need an antibiotic for. I got it when I was 15 and don't remember for sure. Believe me you'll be able to tell if its that. Very puffed and red, starting to hurt more instead of just looking like a regular scratch. If its on the hand for instance, it will get red and puffed at the scratch, and then with every hour, you can see it moving up the hand then up the arm. You are not going to look at her in sudden anaphylaxis! It is very gradual. I can't remember the ramifications of how dangerous it is if it's not treated. Really though, I'm not trying to be mean, but you might want to talk to your hubs about being kind of ridiculous, saying to take a child to a hospital over a cat scratch. That's just a normal part of life honestly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meagansmommy07
by Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:20 PM
No we don't live near a farm...we live on a military base. We have a cat that constantly scratches our kids a lot more than this cat did. I think he's.so worried because the cat does climb around.down in the storm drains and in the woods where the bear and deer live(we have a lot if those on this base)... My husband is always quick to try and go to the ER because its what his mom did when he was little. I have to talk him out.of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
campinHeather
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Hey he comes by it honestly then! If his parents did that he's sure to think its normal. He'll come around eventually after learning the right way from you!

Quoting meagansmommy07:

No we don't live near a farm...we live on a military base. We have a cat that constantly scratches our kids a lot more than this cat did. I think he's.so worried because the cat does climb around.down in the storm drains and in the woods where the bear and deer live(we have a lot if those on this base)... My husband is always quick to try and go to the ER because its what his mom did when he was little. I have to talk him out.of it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
milliemoo
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:43 AM

How many tentanus shots (DTAP) has your daughter had?  If 3, then you should not be concerned.  I don't think you should be concerned anyway - but I understand your husband being worried - its a crazy world and anything is possible. Just call your pediatrician - they will mostly likely ease your worrries.

kryysteez
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Vaccines of any kind are bad for everyone.  My brother is very messed up from the Tetnus shot.  There wont be any problems.  If it does get infected, you will know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)