Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sickness...

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:36 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 357 Total Views

Anyone have an unvaxed child who catches colds, flu and stuff often?

Just curious really. My dd is almost 11 months and has been sooo healthy, only 1 sickness so far. She does go out in public, to a baby sitters with other kids, and my 10 yr old dd who is around sick kids at school. I am assuming breastfeeding and not vaxing has helped her. Really just wondering if anyone in here has breastfed and not vaxed and still has a child that catches everything?

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Nah. Isis is five, vax free, breastfed until self weaning at 3 1/2.
She catches colds once in a while, certainly not often, and gets over them quickly.
But she's also well fed and gets lots of sunshine.
She actually never vomited until a few months ago- she caught a stomach bug shortly after starting kindergarten, she was over it in less than a day. My folks were VERY shocked that was the first time she had her thrown up and I wanted to say "well, she gets breast milk and nutrition instead of toxic waste!"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happy2bmom25
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

i have 5 kids, all vax free and all breastfed.

the oldest is 9, and has thrown up twice, gets one or tow colds a year.

the next is 7, thrown up twice, gets one or two colds a year.

the next two are four. they get one or tow colds a year, and each have had two burst eardrums.

the next is 2 1/2, she has had one ear issue, was a a bit under the weather with a fever last spring.

my oldest had one children's tylenol for a toothache once. none of the other children have ever had an antibiotic or a fever reducer.

I think they are pretty healthy!

I think not vaccinating, breastfeeding, and not overscheduling them, allowing them enough rest and play and really limiting processed foods has a lot to do with their good health.

KadynsMommy806
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this
My middle kiddo (now 4 1/2) is vax free and breasted until 19months. But between 1-3 she was sick pretty often. A lot of upper respiratory infections and a case of RSV that landed us in the hospital for a day. She seems to be growing out of getting sick so often thankfully. I always wonder how much sicker she could have gotten if she was vaccinated and didn't have a naturally intact immune system.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on Nov. 14, 2012 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this

they got the usual rounds of colds and stomach bugs and flu's....my oldest outgrew his asthma by age 10...they're teens now, and i view early childhood/childhood as the time when the most illness is likely to occur.  

Ichthus
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest two were vaxed through age 2, and they both were ill more often than my third who is vax free. My first two had probably 4-6 ear infections each in their first year and a half. My third had one. My middle child got bronchialitis around 3mo. I'm curious to know how soon after vaccination it happened, but I'm not with that doctor anymore and I find that doctors' offices aren't too helpful about giving medical records to patients. The first two were sick all the time their first year or two, and my third has had a cough every year around the start of the cold season that lingers. Once it's gone, though, she is very healthy.

jlc91
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:45 AM

My DS is 2.5 and still nursing and completely vax-free.  He goes in spurts.  He was really healthy till 11months old and then was sick with colds off and on for 2 or 3 months (1 ear infection).  Last winter he got Rotavirus, but that was about it for being sick.  The last 2 months he's had a couple of colds.  I'm starting back with Elderberry syrup and hopefully that will help.  (He gets vitamin D every day and we eat pretty healthy.)

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Me!

I breastfed exclusively (some until almost 3 years), no vaccinations (after the first child was 18 months), and we eat healthy (not organic, but homemade, very little processed junk, fruits, veggies, whole grains).

My kids have all gotten sick when anything is going around.  We rarely go to the doctor anymore, just treat it at home.  All five of mine had whooping cough this summer.

My vaxed child is now the healthiest.  He only gets a light case (if he gets sick) of what everyone else has.  Obviously I do not think that is because of the vaccinations.  He was sick a TON his first 2 years of life and only had antibiotics a few times.  Usually we let his body fight it off.  I really think he has a strong immune system because of that.

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Maddie is almost 20 months, still nursing. Had 4 colds ever. Getting over the 4th now. Never had any other illness or ear infection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mevans
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:19 AM
My youngest hasn't been vaxed and is breastfed. She's almost a year and a half and seems to get sick fairly frequently.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Isabelles_mommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 6:21 PM

non vax here, she's 6. She's had normal colds, mostly when she was in pre-k and in a private school. She is homeschooled now. She had maybe 2 stomach bugs. And a few high fevers, all were treated with homeopathy. She is allergic to fire ants and swells up with mosquito bites, which again is treated with homeopathy. I have noticed mosquito bites swell less and less every time. So she maybe out growing it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)