Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you went out of the country...?

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 258 Total Views

Poll

Question: Would you get the Vaccines?

Options:

Yes, of course!

No, never!

Depends on where I am going

I woul dnever go out o fthe country for this reason

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 17

View Results

I don't want to start a controversy but I am just curious...

If you were planning a trip out of country, somewhere that is considered a "hotbed" for certain diseases like polio or malaria, would you get the vaccines before you went? Is it better to risk the vaccine or the disease?

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM

It really depends.

Some vaccines are mandatory if you want to travel.  For example, if you want to return home after a trip to Africa, you MUST have the yellow fever vax.  I would get it and would have my kids get it.  My children will be older when we travel, so that is a huge factor.  And I think the benefits of travel outweigh the one vaccine they would have to get.

I have always said I would look at the country, what medical help is available, and what kind of /if any outbreaks they are having.  I lived in a very remote part of Benin.  Medical help was far away - somewhat decent medical help.  Good medical help was probably at least a days travel away. 

However, I don't know if I would vaccinate beyond what was mandatory (and be careful, because websites will say a vaccine is necessary, but it isn't truly government mandated for entering the country.  For Africa, at every police check/visa check at the airport and in the country, they look for that yellow card saying you have the yellow fever vaccine.

wolfybaby
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 4:24 PM

i thought even the required vaccines can be avoided with an exemption..?

emmy526
by New Owner on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

i wouldnt plan a trip to a place where i knew there is an outbreak occurring...other than that, i would not vaccinate to go to certain parts of europe or australia or south america

sreichelt26
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I took teams of people to South Africa for years for humanitarian work. We worked/stayed in shanty towns and visited prisons, clinics, and orphanages. We never needed any paperwork regarding vaccines to re-enter the country.

I haven't gone since 2009, so unless this is a very recent development, it's not true for all parts of Africa. I know others who took teams to other African countries and they didn't need paperwork either. 

Quoting micheledo:

It really depends.

Some vaccines are mandatory if you want to travel.  For example, if you want to return home after a trip to Africa, you MUST have the yellow fever vax.  I would get it and would have my kids get it.  My children will be older when we travel, so that is a huge factor.  And I think the benefits of travel outweigh the one vaccine they would have to get.

I have always said I would look at the country, what medical help is available, and what kind of /if any outbreaks they are having.  I lived in a very remote part of Benin.  Medical help was far away - somewhat decent medical help.  Good medical help was probably at least a days travel away. 

However, I don't know if I would vaccinate beyond what was mandatory (and be careful, because websites will say a vaccine is necessary, but it isn't truly government mandated for entering the country.  For Africa, at every police check/visa check at the airport and in the country, they look for that yellow card saying you have the yellow fever vaccine.

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Quoting wolfybaby:

i thought even the required vaccines can be avoided with an exemption..?

No.  Our country allows exemptions within our country.  But there is no exemption for much (all??) of travel to other countries.

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:46 PM

You're right!  I know WEST African countries require it.

Quoting sreichelt26:

I took teams of people to South Africa for years for humanitarian work. We worked/stayed in shanty towns and visited prisons, clinics, and orphanages. We never needed any paperwork regarding vaccines to re-enter the country.

I haven't gone since 2009, so unless this is a very recent development, it's not true for all parts of Africa. I know others who took teams to other African countries and they didn't need paperwork either. 

Quoting micheledo:

It really depends.

sreichelt26
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:02 PM
Good to know :)

Quoting micheledo:

You're right!  I know WEST African countries require it.

Quoting sreichelt26:

Quoting micheledo:

It really depends.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
diospira
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:16 AM

We are in S.America and didn't get any.

Moms Against the New World Order

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM
I wouldn't go anywhere that had epidemic diseases
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoyXtwo
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:26 PM
I just couldn't vaccinate. I look at vaccines like bullets dipped in poison. I haven't spent a lot of time researching travel and vaccines because my kids are 6 and younger, almost all my time is spent on educating myself on childhood vaccines alone.
I have no interest in taking my children to Africa or anywhere other then North America. If they want to go to Europe as a teen we'll cross that bridge when we get there, and as an adult it's their own decision.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)