Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Canada and vax laws?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:47 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 288 Total Views

Does anyone know as a citizen or in general what the vaccine laws in Canada are? My husband wants to look into moving up there as a possibility in the future and I am curious as to school attendance and how the laws and non-vaccination are handled up there...thanks for any tips or info!

~Wife to Brian, momma to Clare and Allison~

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fields456
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Found this

http://vran.org/exemptions/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emma0828
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:55 PM

thank you, I'm going to check it out

emmy526
by New Owner on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:13 PM

this link is also in the 'On the Fence' forum

http://www.cafemom.com/group/4388/forums/read/16765075/Canadian_Vaccine_info_Site

sreichelt26
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I've only done a minor amount of digging because we might move too - didn't sound like it would be an issue as vaccines aren't mandatory or required for anything except for a few instances and then they accept exemptions.

emmy526
by New Owner on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:54 PM

i also have heard from other parents their laws on vaccinating are much more lenienent, and a parent doesnt' even have to sign a waiver or anything for school.  

emma0828
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Cool, that is good to know, thank you ladies. It is a big maybe that we would move up there of course but I want to know regarding the vaccine issues what  that aspect of our lives would look like.

JoyXtwo
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:09 PM
I live in Ontario, I think from province to province its the same but you might want to look in to it further. It's Waay easier here to be unvaccinated. I just went into the commissioner and swore an affidavit it cost $25 and took less then 10 min. for my kids to go to school. They each need one. We have a philosophical exemption here.
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM
There are no laws. No waivers. No requirements. They still push and try to scare, but there's absolutely nothing behind it. I think there are 2 provinces that ask for some sort of waiver for school but that's it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JoyXtwo
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Students can be suspended in regards to vaccines. The general public believes its for not being vaccinated but in truth falls under providing an updated vaccine schedule which would be your affidavit. I think you only need one for the start of school and it's good all the way through. Any unvaxed kids are dismissed during an outbreak of any "mandatory" vaccine illnesses. In which case if the school broke out in measles, say, you likely wouldn't want your kids there anyway.
emma0828
by Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Thanks for the information! And yeah, although it wouldn't necessarily freak me out like I think it would a lot of Americans, it would not be ideal for our kids to be in school if there was an outbreak for whatever ailments.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)