Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whooping cough info

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 220 Total Views
I feel like I'm unprepared for whooping cough. I know you're suppose to treat with high doses of Vit C, but how much? And us there liquid Vit c supplements for little ones?
Also, when do you treat? I've read that many cases of WC actually don't have the classic "whoop" cough, and that people think it's just a cold when it's really pertussis; so how do you know to treat it?

Thanks in advance, I've tried to look things up, but get overwhelmed and confused, and don't know what to believe. :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:24 AM

I know someone has a link to how much Vit C.  All five of my children had it this summer.  The baby was five months and I just breast fed him.

My others were 6, 5, 3, and 2.  They all had up to 3000 of Vit C a day.  My oldest wouldn't eat the chewables and probably only got 1500.  I also gave them ginger water (as much as they would tolerate).  Oil of oregano is supposed to be great for treating it too.

I would treat any cold with Vit C.  So if it turns into whooping cough you are fine.  :)  Whooping cough can last 4 months, so I would think any cough that lasts for months and months stands a good chance of being pertussis.  Only one of my 5 whooped.  The baby didn't even cough.  Just choked and couldn't breathe.

emmy526
by New Owner on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:31 AM

this link mite point you in the right direction..i know she has a site where dosage instructions are there

http://www.cafemom.com/group/4388/forums/read/15610566/Special_Report_The_Vitamin_C_Treatment_of_Whooping_Cough

mevans
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:35 AM
How did you make the ginger water? Like make a tea by boiling ginger root?
Where do you buy oil of oregano?

Thanks for the link Emmy, I'll check it out.

Of course, what has me thinking about it is that my youngest has cold symptoms. She had a fever the other day, and that was her only symptom, but now she's congested. The mucus drains and then she's coughing, trying to get it up and almost throws up.
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Quoting mevans:

Of course, what has me thinking about it is that my youngest has cold symptoms. She had a fever the other day, and that was her only symptom, but now she's congested. The mucus drains and then she's coughing, trying to get it up and almost throws up.

I looked up a site about making my own.  I think you can purchase it from a health food place.  Sorry, I'm not much help.

I would think if the mucus is draining it is not pertussis.  I don't know for sure, but with whooping cough the mucus doesn't drain and that is the problem.  They choke on it because it doesn't move out of the throat.

Ginger water - yes, I made ginger tea, which the kids hated.  I added a tiny bit to their water bottles every time I refilled them.  Some could tolerate more then others.

mevans
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:46 AM
Thank you!

Quoting micheledo:

Quoting mevans:

I looked up a site about making my own.  I think you can purchase it from a health food place.  Sorry, I'm not much help.

I would think if the mucus is draining it is not pertussis.  I don't know for sure, but with whooping cough the mucus doesn't drain and that is the problem.  They choke on it because it doesn't move out of the throat.

Ginger water - yes, I made ginger tea, which the kids hated.  I added a tiny bit to their water bottles every time I refilled them.  Some could tolerate more then others.

HiNeedNiki
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM
My kids, 2 & 4, love ginger tea.. Here's the trick: after straining the root out, add a decent amount of honey (make sure it's fully dissolved of course). My 4 y.o. also likes it mixed with a peppermint tea bag.

Also let it boil/simmer for 15-20 min before straining.
HiNeedNiki
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Oh also add probiotic powder to foods. Doesn't hurt!
jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM
I treat everything with sunshine and mangos. Mangos are loaded with vitamins c and a and they are anti viral (as in the juice deactivates viruses!).
I'll also give my little one half a bag of emergenC. Vit c is water soluble, so as long as your water intake is good, you pee out any extra.
Im also a big fan of using EOs, especially with respiratory infections. And of course, of you're lactating anyone and everyone can benefit from bm drops in the nose/ears/eyes as needed.

I love this ginger tea recommendation, I'm definitely going to keep that in mind!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mevans
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:03 PM
Thanks everyone!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)