Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tetanus question and shedding question....please help!

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:34 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 309 Total Views

i have heard of this shedding thing before with vaxed kids but i dont understand the concept.  my 2 children are not vaxed, but i watch my 16 month old niece who is vaxed  50 hours a week.  is there anything i need to be worried about?

as for the tetanus shot i will explain my cirumstances.  i live on ten acres.  my mom was a horder and filled 3 of those acres with junk...scrap metal, old cars, garbage ect.  we have cleaned about 2 acres of it up over the past year while we live here.  there is glass and old rusty metal everywhere.  right behind the house we have farmers field that get covered in manure once in a while.  they do have a few horses, but overall its all cow manure.

my mom is worried (which is funny because she is a non-vaxer herself) about the kids and tetanus.  she though we should get them a vax for it.  i explained that they now give a triple shot called DTAP and that i was told by my dr that they didnt have a single tetatus shot anymore.  she said that must be wrong.  also keep in mind my husband got a dtap last year and was sick for over a week.  fever, chills, migraine headache and he is 42 years old!  and my sister got it during her last birth and ended up with a nasty infection (cellulitis) at the injection sight and needed antibiotics which gave her thrush really bad.  i dont know what to do.  what would you do?  what are the pros and cons of tetanus and are my kids high risk for exposure anyway?  every other farm around here is a horse farm and as they get older i have no doubt they will be hanging out in a horse barn of some kind, just like i did as a child.  please help!

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by New Owner on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:28 AM

i would not worry if your kids are healthy and have no immunocompromsed problems going on...and if a kid gets an injury, you can always get the TiG, which is an immunoglobulin, not a vaccine..

tansyflower
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:30 AM

what is a TiG?  would i have to request that specifically?  for instance when my husband cut his eye (lawnmowing and he didnt know what hit him) they only offered the dtap.

Quoting emmy526:

i would not worry if your kids are healthy and have no immunocompromsed problems going on...and if a kid gets an injury, you can always get the TiG, which is an immunoglobulin, not a vaccine..

Fields456
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Bump for the tetanus info
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:33 AM

thank you!

Quoting Fields456:

Bump for the tetanus info

jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:36 AM
Shedding just means when a person is vaccinated with a live virus shot, they are contagious with that disease for X amount of time.
TIG is tetanus immunoglobulin, it's a shot of tetanus antibodies you can get if you or your kids succum to an injury that is a tetanus risk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:38 AM

stupid question.  bear with me.  why didnt they give my husband a dtap instead of a TiG?  i could see if they gave him both, bbut why just the dtap?  derp....sorry if its really that stupid.

Quoting jellyphish:

Shedding just means when a person is vaccinated with a live virus shot, they are contagious with that disease for X amount of time.
TIG is tetanus immunoglobulin, it's a shot of tetanus antibodies you can get if you or your kids succum to an injury that is a tetanus risk.

jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:40 AM
I don't know, that's a really good question. If I had to guess I'd guess it has to do with $$$$.

Quoting tansyflower:

stupid question.  bear with me.  why didnt they give my husband a dtap instead of a TiG?  i could see if they gave him both, bbut why just the dtap?  derp....sorry if its really that stupid.

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:42 AM

hmmmm.  thats so weird.  okay another question.  how long does a TiG last for exactly?  does it stay in the system?  once you get one do you need to get another one?

Quoting jellyphish:

I don't know, that's a really good question. If I had to guess I'd guess it has to do with $$$$.

Quoting tansyflower:

Quoting jellyphish:

jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:04 AM
I have no idea, I've never looked into it that far. Here's a bump, maybe someone else here will know.

Quoting tansyflower:

hmmmm.  thats so weird.  okay another question.  how long does a TiG last for exactly?  does it stay in the system?  once you get one do you need to get another one?

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting tansyflower:

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:21 AM
I believe ig immunity lasts 6 months to a year. It is for an immediate threat, not long term. You don't need another unless you have another exposure

Quoting tansyflower:

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting tansyflower:

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN