Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tetanus question and shedding question....please help!

Posted by   + Show Post

i have heard of this shedding thing before with vaxed kids but i dont understand the concept.  my 2 children are not vaxed, but i watch my 16 month old niece who is vaxed  50 hours a week.  is there anything i need to be worried about?

as for the tetanus shot i will explain my cirumstances.  i live on ten acres.  my mom was a horder and filled 3 of those acres with junk...scrap metal, old cars, garbage ect.  we have cleaned about 2 acres of it up over the past year while we live here.  there is glass and old rusty metal everywhere.  right behind the house we have farmers field that get covered in manure once in a while.  they do have a few horses, but overall its all cow manure.

my mom is worried (which is funny because she is a non-vaxer herself) about the kids and tetanus.  she though we should get them a vax for it.  i explained that they now give a triple shot called DTAP and that i was told by my dr that they didnt have a single tetatus shot anymore.  she said that must be wrong.  also keep in mind my husband got a dtap last year and was sick for over a week.  fever, chills, migraine headache and he is 42 years old!  and my sister got it during her last birth and ended up with a nasty infection (cellulitis) at the injection sight and needed antibiotics which gave her thrush really bad.  i dont know what to do.  what would you do?  what are the pros and cons of tetanus and are my kids high risk for exposure anyway?  every other farm around here is a horse farm and as they get older i have no doubt they will be hanging out in a horse barn of some kind, just like i did as a child.  please help!

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:34 AM
Replies (11-16):
Ichthus
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:41 PM

My understanding is that you can still get the individual tetanus shot, but they have to order it. If it's an immediate threat then ordering it would possibly take too long, but if you're just wanting to have your kids get JUST the tetanus as a precaution then I thought you could still get it. Your circumstances sound like more of a risk than most people are exposed to, so I can see your concern. But as long as you do some research on tetanus and how to treat a wound then I would think you should be okay. Just make sure wounds get oxygen (hydrogen peroxide).

tansyflower
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:03 PM

so i ould potentially order one through me ped?  my son is 2 and a half, is waiting until he older (in the spring for instance) a better option?  my other son is only 7 months and is not old enough to get into anything so i think i would prefer to delay with him since his chances of getting into anything is slim to none for at least another year +

do you need multiple tetanus shots in order for it to be affective or would one round be sufficant?  sorry for all the questions!

Quoting Ichthus:

My understanding is that you can still get the individual tetanus shot, but they have to order it. If it's an immediate threat then ordering it would possibly take too long, but if you're just wanting to have your kids get JUST the tetanus as a precaution then I thought you could still get it. Your circumstances sound like more of a risk than most people are exposed to, so I can see your concern. But as long as you do some research on tetanus and how to treat a wound then I would think you should be okay. Just make sure wounds get oxygen (hydrogen peroxide).

Ichthus
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Well, the vaccine schedule calls for 4 doses by age 2 with another booster at age 5/6. I would assume they will say your kids need more than one. What are the chances that your 2 1/2yo will get into the junk? Is he with you being monitored or is he free to roam by himself a bit? When will he be having more freedom to explore if he doesn't do that now? This might help: I once spoke with a naturopathic MD who told me that a child's immune system isn't fully developed until age 3, so he would wait to do any vaccinations until then.

Quoting tansyflower:

so i ould potentially order one through me ped?  my son is 2 and a half, is waiting until he older (in the spring for instance) a better option?  my other son is only 7 months and is not old enough to get into anything so i think i would prefer to delay with him since his chances of getting into anything is slim to none for at least another year +

do you need multiple tetanus shots in order for it to be affective or would one round be sufficant?  sorry for all the questions!

Quoting Ichthus:

tansyflower
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:55 PM

he is a real little rough neck and gets into everything he shouldnt.  there is so much glass on property that even though we have cleaned up two 55 gallon drums worth of glass shards we still find it everywhere we walk.  in fact we pick it up so much that he has started to do it too (little monkey that he is) and if i am splitting wood he will walk up and give me a handful that he picked up off the ground right by the splitter.  most of the rusty metal is farther in the back but he still doinks around there when we are trying to clean up.  within the next month or so we will have snow and he wont be playing outside as much and the ground will be covered.  i am going to assume by next spring he is going to be even harder to control.  sigh.

i would rather wait until he is a little older but i want to weigh the risk facters.  but you are right, i should talk to my naturopath about it. 

Quoting Ichthus:

Well, the vaccine schedule calls for 4 doses by age 2 with another booster at age 5/6. I would assume they will say your kids need more than one. What are the chances that your 2 1/2yo will get into the junk? Is he with you being monitored or is he free to roam by himself a bit? When will he be having more freedom to explore if he doesn't do that now? This might help: I once spoke with a naturopathic MD who told me that a child's immune system isn't fully developed until age 3, so he would wait to do any vaccinations until then.

Quoting tansyflower:

Quoting Ichthus:

JoyXtwo
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:00 PM
You do have a possibility of tetanus. There is information on wound cleaning. It is very important that you learn the proper way!! Starting with allowing it to bleed. Peroxide is imparative because it delivers oxygen to the wound, tetanus grows where there isn't any. But you have to look this up. There is also pre grown tetanus antibodies which are given to people who have tetanus, but it is a blood product. If you go into the emerge with a wound they will badger you about tetanus, so get to preparing yourself.
I went for a walk with my kids in a large forest park, my 3 yr old fell on a stick and it poked in to her face. I felt so unprepared at the hospital, the Dr wouldn't do anything for us after I refused the shot. He didn't even clean the spot.
My Dd fell on a very large house sized rock in which case I decided tetanus couldn't grow there. But in the moment, it's hard to make decisions. Good luck.
JoyXtwo
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:11 PM
In regards to shedding, it's real. My ds experienced an "unexplained" very high fever after spending time with a recently my friends ds after receiving the MMR vax. Of course I didn't know until after the exposure. Now, 4 years later I feel like he bonused some natural immunity, but at the time it scared the crap out of me.
Again, my response is to research the illnesses. They do exists, and sometimes how we treat in the early stage really makes a difference. Ester-C with bioflavonoids is a major staple in your medicine kit.
I did home daycare after my 2 nd was born, and 2 of my babysit kids received the MMR shot while in my care and my 2 nd was never affected. Both the vaxed kids slept almost the entire time in my care, and I took extra care for hygiene and cleaning.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN