Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oral vit. K?

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 246 Total Views
Yay or nay?

I'm 37 weeks pregnant and have not been vaccinating for a few years now, but my dd did have the vit k shot at birth. I was firstly not educated, but she also had what I think would put her in a high risk category type of birth. She was stuck on my pelvic bone and was born with a huge blood bruise type thing on her head. In hindsight I think I would have went ahead with the oral vit k for her. I've already got it in my chart and birth plan that no shots will be given to this baby boy (who won't be circd) but I'm kind of torn on the oral vit k. Any advice, suggestions, info... Anything?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:05 PM
Vit k is indicated only in the event of trauma and/or blood loss. Otherwise, I skip it to preserve the virgin gut. I took herbs high in K and she got it through my milk anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:26 PM
Yeah I want to preserve the virgin gut as well. If he was to get stuck on my pelvic bone like my dd did, would that be considered trauma?

And also, babies begin to produce their own at 10 days old, right?

Quoting jellyphish:

Vit k is indicated only in the event of trauma and/or blood loss. Otherwise, I skip it to preserve the virgin gut. I took herbs high in K and she got it through my milk anyway.

jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:41 PM
I doubt it unless there was injury. I really don't know though, this would be a great question for Birth Is Normal group.

Yes, somewhere in the 8/9/10 day range babies get a surge of vit K. (this is why a bris is not performed before then).

Quoting ceckyl:

Yeah I want to preserve the virgin gut as well. If he was to get stuck on my pelvic bone like my dd did, would that be considered trauma?

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:54 PM
Ok thanks :)

Quoting jellyphish:

I doubt it unless there was injury. I really don't know though, this would be a great question for Birth Is Normal group.

Yes, somewhere in the 8/9/10 day range babies get a surge of vit K. (this is why a bris is not performed before then).

Quoting ceckyl:

Quoting jellyphish:

gmapoohz
by Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Congrats on your soon-to-arrive baby boy :-)

My opinion, from my research, is to NEVER agree to the Vit K injection because:

1)  It is synthetic, not natural Vit K, very poorly absorbed and not good for the body,

2)  the megadose amount given is about 100 times higher than appropriate for a newborn baby,

3) Vit K is produced in the "gut" and should be received in the "gut", not injected,

4)  newborn baby should not be "jabbed" and have pain if not necessary,

5)  Vit K injection can cause jaundice - some babies are already at risk for jaundice if:

a - baby is Asian or part Asian - Vit K injection can cause their jaundice to be much worse,

b - mom is given antibiotics shortly before or during labor,

c - mom has an epidural, or labor inducing drugs,

d - baby is born premature.

6)   oral drops are just as effective, though medical staff will usually claim otherwise.

If you decide on oral drops, you need to buy them yourself, one online source is birthwithlove.com, I believe their drops come from Canada - as far as I know, you cannot purchase Vit K drops directly in the U.S. without a prescription. You can request the hospital procure drops to be administered at birth, but then you have to rely on the hospital to follow through and they may not get organic, natural Vit K drops - some drops are synthetic. Most hospitals will not allow you to administer your own drops at the hospital, since they cannot be sure what you bring is not contaminated.  So you have to do that when no staff is present, or just wait until you get your baby home.

You must have a family member present with baby at all times, there are many instances where hospital staff gave the Vit K injection despite oral and written request of parent/s refusing it - you can't sue them for that and you can't un-inject your baby.

It is easier and more practical for hospital staff to jab a baby with a megadose instead of the inconvenience of trying to get baby to swallow a couple drops of oral Vit K, and then assume parent/s will follow up with the 2nd / 3rd doses at home (dose reccomendations vary, some say 2 drops at birth, 1 month, and 2 months) Hospitals of course don't want to be vulnerable to lawsuits, so many of their decisions for mom and baby are based on lawsuit prevention.

Babies are not born with the type of Vit K for blood clotting because for the body to produce it, requires a specific bacteria that is not present in the womb.  Babies need to ingest some types of bacteria outside the womb. 

This is another reason for NOT having anti-bacterial soaps anywhere in your house, besides the fact that anti-bacterial soaps over time can not only destroy needed "good" bacteria, which is very unhealthy, but can also make people resistant to all prescription antibiotics.

Gma Poohz :-)

.sp4rkl3z.
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:04 AM
My son's birth was traumatic...he had some awful bruising to his head from how quickly I pushed him out. It even led to some serious jaundice. I am so glad that even though I was faced with much resistance, I still said no vit k. I gave him drops starting on day 3 because he was having so much blood drawn for various reasons and one day his heel wouldn't stop gushing and I got scared. He was and is fine though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)