Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone skip well child checks?

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:33 PM
  • 26 Replies
  • 528 Total Views
Now that were not vaccinating they seem fairly pointless...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:46 PM

We skip them.

We went to them with our first - vaccinated until 18 months.

Went to them with our second - decided to delay vaccines until 2 - then didn't

Went to a couple with our third

Our 4th and 5th went to the week old newborn check-up and that is it

I will skip that with our next one for sure!

coala
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't skip well visits.  Vaccines aren't the ONLY thing they do at those check ups.  They check blood pressure, vision, height, weight and get a general idea at how well a child is developing.  That way if something is amiss they catch it early.

I have seen where a child has been picked up as diabetic, color blind and UTI's have been caught.  I have also seen where they catch speech delayed children earlier than a parent would have caught. 

I guess it just depends on your point of view and who your ped it.

jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:11 PM
I go because I have one I like. I think it's important to have that relationship established in case, gawd forbid, something does go wrong; I'll feel comfortable with my girls in his care.

Plus, like pp said, they check for things I can't. For example Isis had blood abnormalities we had to monitor for a while. I would not have been able to detect or treat that on my own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:25 PM

i didn't take my last two kids....i knew what to look for at that point, having been a mom twice byt that point...it seemed all the WBV did was to infect my child with whatever was floating around the office at that time.  It's important to remember that while pedi's can catch something early, a lot of energy and money is spent on condtions that would work themselves out...they also tend to dismiss measures that would be more beneficial for the child if natural altervatives were taken...not many pedi's recommend natural altervatives to illness, as they are prepared to write scripts for everything.   A naturpath or homeopathic dr can do WBV visits too, and they do talk to parents about natural remedies and alternative medicine.  

MorganTho
by New Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:26 PM
Yes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermario4ever
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:27 PM

My daughter has not been to a doctor since her two year check up and my son since his one year check up. They are now six and four and just fine. They are pointless and cost to much. I less you have any concerns they it is a waste of time and money.

toddler girl                         toddler boy

Sarah                                           Luciano

(10-16-06)                                  (11-27-08)

Magnolia7
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I went with my first child, but then dropped off after not liking his dr. at all.  I've since found one I like and I'll probably go with this next baby.  I'm thankful to live in a state that has very clear vaccine exemptions. If we find them to be a hassle or not useful then we'll just not go.

BlessingsMama
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:00 PM

We stopped vaccinating after his 2 month vaccinations. Went to all the usual well child checkups until the first year. Haven't been to any since and he is nearly two. I keep track of his weight, height and head circumference. We've found a family doctor that we like and respects our decisions. He hasn't been sick so I haven't felt the need to take him in. I considered doing an 18 month visit but ended up deciding to just wait until 2 years. He is developmentally on track. I'll do one at 2 years and yearly thereafter unless otherwise seriously ill.

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:02 PM

We choose to go at birth, 3, 6, 12, 18, and 24 months.  DS goes every 3 months due to his CP but moreso for referalls we need for insurance and to check up on his epilepsy med levels. 

Allinorder
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 2:43 AM

I did them for my oldest. I stopped going when I stopped vaccinating.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)