Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TDaP for every pregnancy, CDC says

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 6:10 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 669 Total Views

CDC Just Announced Tdap Vaccine Now Recommended for Pregnant Women During EVERY Pregnancy. Not just ONE dose during ONE pregnancy, but a dose during EVERY pregnancy. Have they gone insane? What are they thinking? I just read the story in my Infectious Diseases in Children magazine. 
So, I understand that Pertussis has 
increased, and the current vaccine hasn't been enough to reduce the disease, AND that about 30 infants (tragically) die every year from this disease, BUT what the CDC is proposing is to expose EVERY single unborn baby to the unknown effects of the Tdap vaccine. EVERY baby. So, if a mom gets the shot during one pregancy, then gets pregnant a year later, boom - she gets another Tdap shot. Here's the good part - the article I read is filled with quotes about the lack of safety research: 
". . . despite the concern over the lack of data for the safety of multiple Tdap vaccinations."
"There is absolutely no question that we need more data."
The Tdap's effectiveness decreases significantly after 1 year. So women will need a fresh dose with each pregnancy. 
"A lack of safety data about multiple Tdap vaccinations caused some hesitancy among the [CDC] committee." 
"There are no data available that address this specific issue."
". . . the need for a prospective study to determine the adverse event risk in women with multiple pregnancies."
". . . the recommendation is an off-lable use of the Tdap vaccine."
". . . this is uncharted territory. Studies need to be done . . . We also don't know for sure if there will be adverse effects . . ."
So, what if every dose of Tdap actually does harm to every single baby? We harm every single baby in order to TRY to save the lives of 30? Does that make any sense? What if giving moms the vaccine doesn’t even help protect the babies? There isn’t any evidence yet that it does So, we risk harm to EVERY baby for a theoretical, unproven benefit? That makes no scientific sense at all. 
Here’s a thought . . . how about we do some SAFETY RESEARCH before we start giving every unborn baby a Tdap vaccine. AND let’s prove it’s efficacious, so that the risk is warranted. The ACIP (the CDC committee that makes vaccine policy) has officially gone insane, and my faith in their ability to make logical, science-based decisions is no more. I still love the rest of the CDC – they do great work. But until the ACIP starts practicing science-based medicine again, I will not follow their policy recommendations. 
Dr. Bob Sears
Pediatrician and author of The Vaccine Book
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 6:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Sick.  

ruthie11617
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:58 AM

They HOUNDED me in the hospital after having my second son to get this vaccine and my MMR booster (surprise, I am not immune to rubella, after numerous boosters). Even after telling them I would follow up with my family doctor, they still hounded me. My own OB didn't put up as much of a fight with my refusing the flu shot. Ridiculous!

CafeMom Tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Fields456
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:59 AM
Anything to make more money right
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetangie79
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:14 AM

I was never bothered to get any vaccine when I was pregnate.

emmy526
by New Owner on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:04 AM

Oscar Neil Duffy was born asleep (An Angel) on the 11.11.12, he died on or around the 5th November, On the 1st November Kim had the Flu Vaccine and the Whooping cough Vaccine.

https://www.facebook.com/oscarsangels 

Ichthus
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I don't care for Dr. Bob Sears. It's great he's speaking out against this, but then he says he loves the rest of the CDC. What does that mean? What about all the other vaccines that haven't had any or very much safety research?!? Dr. Sears is okay with those.

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Have to say I am thankful I won't have to deal with any of that.  Any of our future babies will be born at home, with a midwife.  

So sorry for the many children that will most likely be affected.  While the article says the safety is being questioned, that won't matter to doctors.  They will still suggest/recommen/push it on pregnant moms.  They already do that with the flu vaccine.  :(

FebPenguins
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I am allergic to the TDap. Every time I see the comerical about how "you think the safest                             place for your child is your arms" commercial, I cringe and remind myself that I cannot                            have that vaccine~even if I wanted to, and that I am NOT a bad mom!          

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)