Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tired of the run around….

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 6:35 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 320 Total Views

I posted about this almost two years ago when we moved to a Ft Benning, GA. I got nowhere with CYSS and they ended up changing their rules on religious exemptions. Here's a summary.... When I called CYSS to get the info I needed to register my children with our Religious Exemption, I was told that I will need a letter from my clergy verifying our religious beliefs basically. We do not attend a church, so I called the Chaplain's office and they were not willing to help. I spoke to a few local churches who also didn't care to help me. So, I call CYSS back to let them know my situation and to see if there was anything else I could do as we do not attend church. I was told that the rules/regs have changed and the ONLY exemption for vaccines they will accept is medical (and it had to be life threatening!) So I was frustrated and ended up putting my daughter in PreK off post and involving both kids in sports at the local YMCA. Ok fine, no big deal. 

Now, we are moving to Alaska! I just called to speak with CYSS about the requirements for Religious Exemptions against vaccinations and was told that I will need a letter from my clergy blah blah blah. So, idk what to do. I don't know who to turn to in order to get this letter from the "head of my church" saying that I have true and sincere religious beliefs against vaccinations. Can anybody think of anything?? We will be in the middle of nowhere Alaska, and I want my kids to be involved on post with sports and activities with their friends etc. HELP! 

by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 6:57 PM
First, what is cyss?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Miller11
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 7:02 PM

fake your own? No probably not a good idea.

Ask them agian, why do you need a clergy person to authorize your exemption? Christianity and their sects are not the only religion. Why cant you be pagan, following your own path? What if you are your own religious leader? What if your family practices some other kind of religion in which your husband is the leader? Those are all legit ideas and christianity is not the only religion in the world.

momtoboyngrl
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM

CYSS is Child, Youth, & School Services. They run all of the activities for children on post (daycare, before/after care, sports, etc) on Army (or maybe all military?) posts

momtoboyngrl
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Definitely not a good idea when dealing with the military :/ I am with you though. Who are they to tell me that I have to go to church (or have a clergy) to believe whatever I want. What happened to "free country". I don't feel free and I hate it.

Quoting Mrs.Miller11:

Ask them agian, why do you need a clergy person to authorize your exemption? Christianity and their sects are not the only religion. Why cant you be pagan, following your own path? What if you are your own religious leader? What if your family practices some other kind of religion in which your husband is the leader? Those are all legit ideas and christianity is not the only religion in the world.

emmy526
by New Owner on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

http://www.epi.hss.state.ak.us/pubs/ImmunizationManual_v03.pdf

scroll down to page 38, and theres a form, and NO WHERE on the form does it provide for a clergy's siggy...the wording of it claims a parents has to be a member

Quote:

“the child’s”] parent or guardian affirming that immunization conflicts with the tenets and practices of the church or  religious 

denomination of which the applicant [4 AAC 62.450(c)(2) says “the parent or guardian”] is a member.

so, far all they know, you have your own church right in your own living room every sunday, and your kids are your church body.  

jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Oh ok. So then they had to abide by the exemption laws right? Look up the state laws, if it does not specify the requirement of a clergy signature, then not only are they lying, but they are crossing legal and constitutional lines by asking you about your religious beliefs. If that's the case, II can fight and win.
http://www.vaclib.org/exemption.htm#statelist

Can someone verify this for me please? It's not just schools that need to abide by exemption laws right?

Quoting momtoboyngrl:

CYSS is Child, Youth, & School Services. They run all of the activities for children on post (daycare, before/after care, sports, etc) on Army (or maybe all military?) posts

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Miller11
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting momtoboyngrl:

Oh I agree, we are a military family as well
Ichthus
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not a free country anymore. I hate it, too. I hope you're able to figure something out.

Quoting momtoboyngrl:

Definitely not a good idea when dealing with the military :/ I am with you though. Who are they to tell me that I have to go to church (or have a clergy) to believe whatever I want. What happened to "free country". I don't feel free and I hate it.

Quoting Mrs.Miller11:

jlc91
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:25 AM

How about "joining" this church: http://www.christianhealthfellowship.org/about.php

They'll send letters for you!

momtoboyngrl
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 1:48 PM

interesting.... is it legit? lol

Quoting jlc91:

How about "joining" this church: http://www.christianhealthfellowship.org/about.php

They'll send letters for you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)