Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tubal/Bf question

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:46 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 279 Total Views

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge about having tubes tied and the effects it may have on breastfeeding? I am curious to ask real mommas since doctors have said there is no connection, yet I've always talked to friends that had tubal ligation and their hormones have been out of whack since, but yet doctors still say there is no connection and all said symptoms are just coincidence. Any thoughts/stories are apreciated! I want to nurse by baby more importantly but am debating on the tubal ligation decision and want to make sure it will not impact my breastfeeding ability with my last child. Thank you :-)

~Wife to Brian, momma to Clare and Allison~

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
crafthag
by New Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 4:56 AM
Please research PTLS. I had my tubes reversed because the side effects were a living nightmare. I belong to a group here with a bunch of women who also had reversals because of PTLS. Four women I know had to have hysterectomies in their 40's because of ligation problems. Please don't do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on Dec. 1, 2012 at 6:22 AM

i declined having mine tied after i was informed i wouldnt' be able to breastfeed for like 12 hours after the procedure due to anesthetic in my system, so that alone, was a no no for me....i made dh get a vascetomy.  I felt to disturb the learning process of breastfeeding could really ruin latching on properly, not to mention, i didnt' want my baby having formula during the time i couldn't bf, and pumping colostrum wasn't going to happen. 

angelbabies14
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:36 AM
I had a tubal when my son was 1 year old. I am still currently breastfeeding him and he just turned 3 a few weeks ago. It did not effect my supply at all. They tried pulling the bologna about not being able to breastfeed after surgery but i knew better. As soon as i was home (approx 4 hrs) I was nursing him. As soon as a mother is alert she can breastfeed. Anyway, the reason I regret the tubal is because my periods are now terrible. I'm talking, loosing so much blood that i become severely anemic and I'm on the verge of passing out. I bleed 2 to 3 weeks a month. Sometimes it's just every other week but I have my period more than I don't and I was never like this before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:14 AM
It did not affect my mother in laws milk supply (she still successfully bf BIL) but she did have to have a hysterectomy at 45 from side affects of her tubal (20 years earlier).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TwilightMom815
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:07 PM
I had a tubal after my c section and was alert the whole time at an hour after my daughter was born I was brestfeeding and I had no problems bf her unfortunly with both my kids I was always low on milk but I did pump for months for both. Also no side effects wats so ever

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emma0828
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Well thanks for the replies! I am still looking into it, but I'm not going to "make" my husband get the procedure done. I already will be open for surgery because I am having a c-section, so I am looking into getting my tubes tied. I just want to talk to real moms first. It seems like there's a mix of success and struggle with cycles after getting it done, so it is hard to decide. There's not an overwhelming response of problems or lack thereof, but a good mix of both. Seems like I may not know how it will affect me until I get it done. My husband has said he'll get the procedure done himself-vasectomy-but he also has not made an appointment and I am two and a half weeks away from having my  c-section. I love my children and I am done being pregnant-so the tubal is appealing since he's a big baby and won't even talk about setting a date for his appointment. *sigh*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)