Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whooping cough

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 4:42 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 169 Total Views

Hello all, I'm really nervous my 4 year old is coming down with whooping cough.  I plan on bringing him to the Dr. tomorrow but would love some advice on natural treatment if this turns out to be the case.  He has had a low grade fever for about a week and started a couple of days ago with a slight cough.  It just developed into big cough attacks today.  I'm especially nervous because I also have a 5 year old, a 1 1/2 year old and I'm 7 months pregnant..  Any advice would be much appreciated.  I'm a nervous wreck about this.  Thanks.

by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 4:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
emmy526
by New Owner on Dec. 1, 2012 at 6:25 AM

here's a whole post about it, and some members here will have advice since their families just went throught it. 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/4388/forums/read/15610566/Special_Report_The_Vitamin_C_Treatment_of_Whooping_Cough

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 8:42 AM

My kids were 5 months, 2 1/2, 3 1/2, 5, and 6 1/2 this summer when they all had it.  It would be a little odd if you have it since the typical time it hits is the spring/summer.  Of course it is entirely possible though.  :)

The hardest part was the lack of sleep.  After the first couple nights of the kids waking and choking - they got used to it and I got used to how horrific it sounded.  After that - the weariness was HORRIBLE.  But that is my biggest complaint.  All five had it and I slept on the couch with all of them on the floor around me so I could roll off and grab a bucket when someone started choking (often ending in spitting up stuff).

TONS of Vit C.  I also made a ginger tea (boiling some ginger root and adding honey) that the kids didn't like, but I added a bit to their water bottles everytime I refilled them.  Some tolerated more then others.

Oil of Oregano is supposed to be TERRIFIC for treating whooping cough.  Unfortunately I never tried it as I forgot.

Night time was the worst.  The kids were usually hungry in the evening (ate light all morning) but I limited what they ate just because a lot got thrown up at night.

Feel free to ask any questions of me.  It was about 3 months and the lack of sleep was really awful.  I remember after about 2 months or so I was SO happy because I was only up 10 times at night!  That was some of the best sleep I got until they were better.  Lot of tears on my part just from the weariness.

Also - we took the baby to the after hours clinic because he wasn't breathing/struggling to breathe when a fit hit him.  He never coughed but would choke and his arms would fly out, his mouth open wide, and no air would go in or out.  I was sleeping with him upright (which helped a LOT!!!)  Anyway the doctor completely missed it was whooping cough!!!  Said it was a virus because there was no infection - all clear mucuos.  It wasn't until the other kids got it that we realized it was whooping cough.

Pertussis destroys the tiny hairs in the throat that move mucus out of you.  So the mucus ends up just sitting in you and that is why it is such a choking cough.  They are choking, on their own phlegm/mucus and can't get it to move out.  It makes the cough very frightening.  My daughter panicked the first night as she struggled to breathe.  But that was really the worst.  Once we all got used to the cough, the kids would just sit up, coughing, and then go back to sleep.

And - some don't get it as badly and it is just a bad cough that lasts for month.  My vaccinated child only had a rough cough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)