Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DtaP vaccine and shedding; do I let recently vaccinated Grandma near infant?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 466 Total Views
Hello all...we do NOT vax our DS. Grandma is a nurse, they Require her , And she whole-heartedly WANTS TO GET HERSELF VACCINATED with DtaP .....question is:

Is there any chance of her upcoming vax (12/3) shedding?? Do I have to restrict her from visiting?? I am aware that there is shedding with the Varicella Vax (i am lucky..i am old enough to have had the wild strain when I was 5yr old..waaay back in 1980!!)

I just dont know about this DtaP vaccine...
I DO KNOW about the (absurd) Varicella Vax, (upwards of 6 weeks).....and you better believe...i saw dried blisters on our neighbors granddaughter, I didnt ask..but I betcha they vax her for preschool, and...well I absolutely was,not letting Audra anywhere near DS, no touching , no coughing on him.

I just am fairly protective of DS with that silly/absurd Var.Vax because of the shedding...and because he still is very young (9mo).

Lastly...yes I (very happily!!) EBF, on cue, and I am very mindful of my nutrition, veggies, veggies, lean protein, vitamin C. I intend to BF for, as,long as,DS is still interested, and that gives him a great start to life as,well !!!

Tha.nk You!
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:38 PM

While DTaP is not live, there have been reports of infection of pertusis in the vaccinated and their family shortly after vaccination.  MMR, oral polio, and rotavirus also shed btw.  I have heard that 21-28 days precaution after DTaP may be wise as that is the incubation for pertusis.

emmy526
by New Owner on Dec. 1, 2012 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

i would DEF stay away for at least 3 weeks just to be sure...adults can harbor the bacterium that causes WC, without exhibiting ANY symptoms themselves. 

BlessedMammaof2
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I would stay away even though it is not a live virus. My son was hospitalized and treated for pertussis only 3 weeks after having been vaccinated against it.

sreichelt26
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:05 PM
This. Definitely wouldn't risk it.

Quoting emmy526:

i would DEF stay away for at least 3 weeks just to be sure...adults can harbor the bacterium that causes WC, without exhibiting ANY symptoms themselves. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mjrex87
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:48 PM

When DH got the Tdap (sore subject in our house!), we were all sick within a couple of days. I had the worst of it (real fair, huh??) and luckily DD (2 months at the time) only had mild cold-like symptoms. Because of that, if it were me, I would wait a little while before being around someone if I knew they had just been vaccinated.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)