Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fast response please, Vaccinating my indoor cat?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:32 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 159 Total Views
So i've been trying to get a new dog but the shelters want proof that my cat is up to date so they can deem me a "fit owner"! Smh. I finally am about to cave this morning, got cat appointment set up for an hr from now with holistic vet but receptionist said "u can't get out of the rabies shot, it's required by law." But I just read all this stuff about injection site cancer in cats, and my little kitty is very frail as it is (which is part of the reason I still need to take her in). However, she does catch the occasional mouse indoors, and am wondering if she could get rabies from that? It's been 4 years since she had a shot... Before I even considered it being bad for cat.

Should I get her the shot or lie n say she had it, n then I won't be able to adopt from any shelter within reach of me in philadelphia? There is a breeder I could get a healthy dog from but I wanted to first try to rescue. Fyi have been trying to get a dog for a month and have been searching online everyday so these are my last options. My old dog of 12yrs died 2 years ago n i'm ready and needing one now to complete our family.
-Aiesha, proud mama of two beautiful, talented, gifted daughters
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
snowangel1979
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM
2 moms liked this
It's up to you.

Just don't mention you have a cat. But you want a cat friendly dog because you are getting a cat in the future.
If you lie, they may want proff that you got her vaccinated.

I love rescues but sometimes they go a little overboard with their policies.
Have you tried the pound.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on Dec. 1, 2012 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

i wouldn't do it...just tell 'em you don't have any other pets...unless they do a home visit beforehand, then there's no way to get out of it, unless you hide the cat

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN