Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DO YOU VACCINATE YOUR PETS?

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 4:31 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 298 Total Views

Why or why not?

With light and love

by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by New Owner on Dec. 2, 2012 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

nope....too many pets of friends have developed strange cysts and cancers...my unvaxed cats are indoor and are not at risk for anything. 

mjrex87
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I have to vaccinate my dog in order to get a document that allows me to take her on a plane. :-/

mommyofblueyes
by New Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Yes, but because he has to be regisitered through military housing, and has to be updated on rabies.  Also, parvo is VERY bad in this area, and in the last month, I've seen about 6 stories where dogs have died from parvo here.    :/

Fields456
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 5:43 PM
Rabies and parvo only. Rabies Because we are in the country so they have a good chance of encountering a rabid animal. And parvo because one of my moms dogs had it and she picked it up from my moms property and almost died. I take my dogs over there alot and chances are it is still somewhere in her soil. And my cats only get rabies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liz132
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Yes but just for rabies. It's required to get his registration. I don't know if there is a way around it legally. Also we live out in the country where he could come into contact with rabid animals, we don't need an Old Yeller sequel. I don't like to do it.

HiNeedNiki
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:42 AM
I just posted about this saturday, am required legally to do it annually for rabies but I canceled the appointment for my cat, i'm afraid of injection site cancer, she's frail and indoors only.

But if I get a dog i'll only maybe do it minimally his first year to keep health agreement n anyway I read a rabies shot actually lasts more like 7 years. I'm going to research first.

Btw because my dog who died 2 yrs ago was not up to date at time of her death, I was actually DENIED the right to adopt from a shelter here!! So at next shelter I never told them I owned a dog but I messed up n said I own a cat (coz I wanted to get a dog who's good with cats) n they won't ley me adopt until she's UTD!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Liz132
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Quoting HiNeedNiki:

I just posted about this saturday, am required legally to do it annually for rabies but I canceled the appointment for my cat, i'm afraid of injection site cancer, she's frail and indoors only.

But if I get a dog i'll only maybe do it minimally his first year to keep health agreement n anyway I read a rabies shot actually lasts more like 7 years. I'm going to research first.

Btw because my dog who died 2 yrs ago was not up to date at time of her death, I was actually DENIED the right to adopt from a shelter here!! So at next shelter I never told them I owned a dog but I messed up n said I own a cat (coz I wanted to get a dog who's good with cats) n they won't ley me adopt until she's UTD!

After the first few years I'm only required to get a rabies vax for my dog every three years bcause they say it lasts long enough.

Topaz99
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I vaccinate my dogs for rabies (we live in the country) and for parvo. My vet is fine with me not vaccinating for other things and will do no more than 2 vaccines at a time. Wish more peds. Thought along these lines.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:52 PM

i never even thought about it until this group. for any future pets, I'll only do what I absolutely have to by law.

Baby4us09
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Vet wants me to get the 2 month shots for my cats. They are indoor only cats. What do you all think?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)