Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whooping cough *update

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:32 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 326 Total Views
*doctor said it was bronchitis

I think my vaccine free son has whooping cough.
I'm taking him to the clinic right now.
What should I expect? Is there ways to treatit with out antibiotics?

He will be eight months in four days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Antibiotics don't change the duration of the cough.  Supposedly it will keep him from being contagious, but that is all.  

All five of mine had it this summer and we just treated it at home.  My 5 month old had it.  Just curious, what makes you suspect whooping cough?  

pinkiebabii
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:57 PM
The sound. He has been coughing for two weeks and it sounds like whooping cough.
How did you treat your five month old?

Quoting micheledo:

Antibiotics don't change the duration of the cough.  Supposedly it will keep him from being contagious, but that is all.  

All five of mine had it this summer and we just treated it at home.  My 5 month old had it.  Just curious, what makes you suspect whooping cough?  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I actually didn't know he had it.  He would choke and stop breathing.  His arms would shoot out and his mouth open wide while he tried to breathe.  No sound could be made.  Then finally he would start choking.  He never coughed.  I finally took him to the doctor after about a month to make sure his lungs were clear.  I was told he had a virus - nothing we could do about it.  It wasn't until my other kids caught it and some of them were whooping that I realized.  

Anyway, that whole time I was nursing him all the time.  That's all I did.  That and carried him and rarely let him lay down (he was not sitting up yet).  At night I slept with him, upright, sitting on the couch.  I really think that helped keep the mucus from settling even more and choking him.  It wasn't until after about 2 months that the mucus FINALLY started moving out of him - it showed up in his diaper.  :)  

Crazy boy is now 10 months and still rarely coughs when sick.  LOL!  He makes a choking noise.  I sometimes wonder if he doesn't know how to cough.  :)

I was taking a ton of Vit C all through that.

jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never had to deal with it, but if I did I would put breast milk in his nose, make some euc tea for him to inhale, and drink it myself.
Also feed him mangos- they are high in vit a and c and anti viral (though I will admit I dont know if wc is bacterial or viral).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalaboosh
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 2:12 PM
If he's eating solids you can help him get better faster with Bragg's apple cider vinegar. I sneak it into applesauce with cinnamon, about half a cap a day. I hope he feels better soon!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Quoting jellyphish:

I've never had to deal with it, but if I did I would put breast milk in his nose, make some euc tea for him to inhale, and drink it myself.
Also feed him mangos- they are high in vit a and c and anti viral (though I will admit I dont know if wc is bacterial or viral).

Fairly certain it is bacterial - which is why they give antibiotics for it (Right???).  

And it may be different in other children, but none of mine had a stuffy nose.  Trhe mucus collects in the back of the throat and doesn't go anywhere.  I think it is just regular mucus that would normally flow out of you - but because the pertussis kills of the filia (???) in the throat it doesn't move out.  THat was what was so odd to me with the baby - normally the mucus comes out through the nose or ends up in their stomach and shows up in their diaper.  This mucus wasn't going anywhere.  I wish I rememebered who that doctor was that I saw - so I could say something to him.  :)

jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Even if he's not stuffy, milk in nose will help fight the infection, and it will get to the back of the throat this way. And it's not unheard of for a dr to treat a viral infection with abx.

Quoting micheledo:

Quoting jellyphish:

Fairly certain it is bacterial - which is why they give antibiotics for it (Right???).  

And it may be different in other children, but none of mine had a stuffy nose.  Trhe mucus collects in the back of the throat and doesn't go anywhere.  I think it is just regular mucus that would normally flow out of you - but because the pertussis kills of the filia (???) in the throat it doesn't move out.  THat was what was so odd to me with the baby - normally the mucus comes out through the nose or ends up in their stomach and shows up in their diaper.  This mucus wasn't going anywhere.  I wish I rememebered who that doctor was that I saw - so I could say something to him.  :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkiebabii
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I do put bm. In his nose. It instantly makes him sneeze.

Quoting jellyphish:

Even if he's not stuffy, milk in nose will help fight the infection, and it will get to the back of the throat this way. And it's not unheard of for a dr to treat a viral infection with abx.

Quoting micheledo:

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Thanks!  

I'll have to see if I can dig up info on pertussis.  I thought it was bacterial - but I really don't have any reason for that.  :)

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting micheledo:

Quoting jellyphish:

jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Oh, please let me know, I'm curious. I have no clue either, I just know not to assume based on abx. But since she wasn't sure it was wc it could have been a virus of some kind and mango is awesome for that!!

Quoting micheledo:

Thanks!  

I'll have to see if I can dig up info on pertussis.  I thought it was bacterial - but I really don't have any reason for that.  :)

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting micheledo:

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)