Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do cats really need all thos vaccines?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:40 PM
  • 29 Replies
  • 511 Total Views

My dogs are UTD on vaccines I just adopted two kittens and the shelter gave them a 7way vax. Now they are due for the second one. They are two months old. So its that one. I think for distemper?

Do they really need it? I asked the vet tech and she didn't sound too convincing to me.

I have an appointment on Saturday. Dec 8th.

Any thoughts? Facts work too :)

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Char07
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 4:55 PM
This is ignoring if the vaccines work... But I've had lots of foster kittens die of distemper (though all earlier than 7 weeks) but never any die from it that had been with their mothers and nursed (so all that died had been bottlefed by humans). No other info for you.

Oops edited to add, all that died were bottlefed from birth and too young for the vax
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by New Owner on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:13 PM

i wouldn't do it....are they outdoor or indoor cats?

Baby4us09
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Quoting emmy526:

i wouldn't do it....are they outdoor or indoor cats?

sweetangie79
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:52 PM

I don't vaccinate my cats or dogs and they are outside.   They are all healthy too.

Ichthus
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:28 PM

The question I ask myself is why do I disagree with vaxing my kids, but it's okay to vax my pets? Well, the reasons I have chosen to not vax my kids is that I don't want all the toxins in their blood, many of the diseases that have vaccines are not life threatening, and a lot of times the vaccines don't even work. I haven't done my research on pet vaccines, but those are the things I need to decide when I have done the research. I had to take my new dog to the vet last week. She was utd on vaccines because I just adopted her from a rescue organization and they take care of that. I asked the lady at the front desk if the vet would have a problem if I only had my dog get the rabies vax. She looked at me like I was crazy, but she said he would probably tell me that I should do the parvo vax at least. I've heard of alot of that going around, so I will consider it.  I don't vax my indoor cat. He hasn't been to the vet in probably 10 years. It comes down to do your research just like you did for your kids.

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I do distemper as kittens and not after 1 year.  Distemper usually means death in a kitten but not so much for an older (after 1 year) cat.  In an adult cat it is treatable 80-90% of  the time.  Also most places will not fix a cat without at least 1 distemper. 

*add on- My cats are one indoor/outdoor and one indoor only.  We do have woods nearby and I do feel like the threat of both rabies and distemper is present.  As I said we only do a kitten distemper because it is almost always fatal and we do rabies every three years because it is so had to treat in cats. 

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
Baby4us09
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Thats what I was thinking. The kittens are spayed and have had one distemper already. I just want to get the rabies vax since its by law and I have a day care. So just that one.  I wonder if they will tell me that my pets are not up to date although the only vax is the rabies and its by law. so??? My dogs are UTD. The kittens I don't want to do it. I don't feel comfterable now. Just as I don't want to vax my children. I don't want ot vax my cats.

Quoting Ichthus:

The question I ask myself is why do I disagree with vaxing my kids, but it's okay to vax my pets? Well, the reasons I have chosen to not vax my kids is that I don't want all the toxins in their blood, many of the diseases that have vaccines are not life threatening, and a lot of times the vaccines don't even work. I haven't done my research on pet vaccines, but those are the things I need to decide when I have done the research. I had to take my new dog to the vet last week. She was utd on vaccines because I just adopted her from a rescue organization and they take care of that. I asked the lady at the front desk if the vet would have a problem if I only had my dog get the rabies vax. She looked at me like I was crazy, but she said he would probably tell me that I should do the parvo vax at least. I've heard of alot of that going around, so I will consider it.  I don't vax my indoor cat. He hasn't been to the vet in probably 10 years. It comes down to do your research just like you did for your kids.

elfwolfe
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

On my dogs and cats, I get their vax's till all they need is yearly boosters, once we get to the boosters I stop and only get the rabies. I foster puppies and kittens so I have to be careful and have my personal pets protected. Prime example, I just had a foster puppie die from parvovirus that a pooper-scooper company tracked into my yard, if I never got the initial set on my dogs as puppies they could have gotten it and died too. What makes it worse, is the strain the puppy died from did not have your normal symptoms till it was to late. 

Since my cats are indoor cats, they only get their kitten shots, and that is it. I have one who insists on going outside to, so she will get her rabies when required.

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. Charles M. Schulz (1922 - 2000), (Snoopy)

It's funny how dogs and cats know the inside of folks better than other folks do, isn't it?
Eleanor H. Porter (1868 - 1920), Pollyanna, 1912

Maybe coming clean is the ultimate selfish act. A way to absolve yourself by hurting someone who doesn't deserve to be hurt. Cindy Chupack, Sex and the City, Don't Ask, Don't Tell, 2000

buzymamaof3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 3:38 AM
Mine are indoor cats, so no.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Baby4us09
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:11 AM

How do you word it to the vet? I have mine pressuring me. I just want to get the Rabies since its the law and I do day care.

She keeps saying they don't see the ddiseases because they are vaccinating. I have to wonder how similar the pet vaccines are to humans and when the disease started to  decline as well. Its hard to find anything. I have a cousin that is a vet. She is hard to get a hold of tho.

Quoting buzymamaof3:

Mine are indoor cats, so no.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)