Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do cats really need all thos vaccines?

Posted by   + Show Post

My dogs are UTD on vaccines I just adopted two kittens and the shelter gave them a 7way vax. Now they are due for the second one. They are two months old. So its that one. I think for distemper?

Do they really need it? I asked the vet tech and she didn't sound too convincing to me.

I have an appointment on Saturday. Dec 8th.

Any thoughts? Facts work too :)

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Replies (21-29):
rachelrothchild
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM

EVERYTHING costs more here-way more.

Quoting Baby4us09:

???

Quoting rachelrothchild:

It's All About Pets animal clinic in Golden Valley.  Don't forget about the Twin Cities special surcharge on everything.

Quoting Baby4us09:

Wow, I had one here forthe dogs that told me 100 a tooth. What vet did you go to? IF you don't mind me asking.

Quoting rachelrothchild:

Yeah, I think so.

The vet we used to take the cat to told us he had a bad tooth and wanted to extract it-for around $600 or so.  This vet told us his teeth are healthy.  Regular vets are extortionists just like medical doctors.

Quoting Baby4us09:

I'm taking them to Granite City. They said they are holistic but I guess not. I didn't like that she (the vet and techs) pushed it so much.  The cats that were being brought in were sick, they were older than 2 and problems. In a group in here I have heard of cats that have health problems or died young. Correlation?

Quoting rachelrothchild:

We don't vaccinate our cat anymore.  Our vet says there is no reason to, but she's a holistic vet too.

BabyFruit Ticker

buzymamaof3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Do you have Petco's or Petsmart near you?  If so, they offer the clinics for shots and you can just walk in to get the rabies to be compliant with the law and let your vet know they have their shots.  Just tell the vet you are doing what is required by law and dont let them bully you.  I know it's hard though when they try making you feel neglectful.

Quoting Baby4us09:

How do you word it to the vet? I have mine pressuring me. I just want to get the Rabies since its the law and I do day care.

She keeps saying they don't see the ddiseases because they are vaccinating. I have to wonder how similar the pet vaccines are to humans and when the disease started to  decline as well. Its hard to find anything. I have a cousin that is a vet. She is hard to get a hold of tho.

Quoting buzymamaof3:

Mine are indoor cats, so no.

thMarried2MyBF.gif Married To My Best Friend image by luckylizziebeinformedvaxfree.gif Vax Free blinkie image by thirdtimecharmdteachinpjs.gif homeschool image by coldjet
thap.gif attachment parenting image by PositivemomTiny breast cancer awareness ribbon

kitty8199
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:48 AM
I only do the ones required to spray/neuter.
After that I don't do any.

The ONLY vpd we've ever had a pet have was a vaccinated dog. Got parvo anyway. The not vaxed dogs didn't get it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmugs
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I cannot cut and past on here (ugh).

Please google vaccine sarcoma and cats and read up on it.  Long story short - cats occasionally develop sarcomas (cancer) at the injection site, although there are ways to lower the chances.

In any event, we have vaccinated enough int he past to get them fixed, and that is it.  Vets here will not fix a pet without its shots.  Our last pet came from the SPCA - she came with a slew of shots, and she came fixed.  The only thing she did not get was rabies, and i am on the fence about it.  I am heading towards "no."  While it is the law here to vaccinate your pet, the only way anyone will find out we have not vaccinated is if she bites someone.  She will then need to be vaxxed and we could be fined for every day she remains unvaxxed after they issue us a "you must vax" paper - but that is it.  

Baby4us09
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I started to read. So far so good. Thank you for this. I was trying to google things not too long ago but didn't like what I kept getting. Thank you for this.

Quoting emmy526:

Over-vaccination: Challenging Big Pharma's lucrative over-vaccination of people and animals:

emmy526
by New Owner on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:13 PM

i think it was on a website i recently posted

Quoting Baby4us09:

I started to read. So far so good. Thank you for this. I was trying to google things not too long ago but didn't like what I kept getting. Thank you for this.

Quoting emmy526:

Over-vaccination: Challenging Big Pharma's lucrative over-vaccination of people and animals:

Baby4us09
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Quoting kmugs:

I cannot cut and past on here (ugh).

Please google vaccine sarcoma and cats and read up on it.  Long story short - cats occasionally develop sarcomas (cancer) at the injection site, although there are ways to lower the chances.

The vet told me about that. She said it is rare that they develop that. I don't want to risk it tho.  I didn't like her. Just the way she was because I didn't want to vax.

In any event, we have vaccinated enough int he past to get them fixed, and that is it.Mine came from the shelter. They just had a distemper vax, I know it wasn't just that since they have upto 5 in there.   Vets here will not fix a pet without its shots. I think that is so dumb. They vaxed kittens at the shelter with just one vax if that. Maybe they did it after the spay. Who knows.   Our last pet came from the SPCA - she came with a slew of shots, and she came fixed.  The only thing she did not get was rabies, and i am on the fence about it.I dont  see the point in Rabies vax. Even if they are outside as well. We did rabies because I do day care and I have to provide proof they have that shot I don't have to show proof of any other shot as they are not required by law.    I am heading towards "no."  While it is the law here to vaccinate your pet, the only way anyone will find out we have not vaccinated is if she bites someone.  I agree with you. I don't think they should have them.  When I am done with day  care they won't even get that. Just a good way to keep vets making money. If no one vaccinated ho wwill they make the money? She will then need to be vaxxed and we could be fined for every day she remains unvaxxed after they issue us a "you must vax" paper - but that is it.  I would risk that. They can get you in quick for just a shot. Petco even does low cost vax clinics.

Baby4us09
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Right now that is all I am doing is complying with the law. No more. Funny thing is at that vets office they require your pet to be UTD on vaccines to be groomed. I was like I guess they aren't going there then. The vet will clip nails. So frusterating. Petsmart grooms with the Rabies vax. Who knows if they still do it. THey did in NC I nowlive inMN

Quoting buzymamaof3:

Do you have Petco's or Petsmart near you?  If so, they offer the clinics for shots and you can just walk in to get the rabies to be compliant with the law and let your vet know they have their shots.  Just tell the vet you are doing what is required by law and dont let them bully you.  I know it's hard though when they try making you feel neglectful.

Quoting Baby4us09:

How do you word it to the vet? I have mine pressuring me. I just want to get the Rabies since its the law and I do day care.

She keeps saying they don't see the ddiseases because they are vaccinating. I have to wonder how similar the pet vaccines are to humans and when the disease started to  decline as well. Its hard to find anything. I have a cousin that is a vet. She is hard to get a hold of tho.

Quoting buzymamaof3:

Mine are indoor cats, so no.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)