Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shingles? Mrsa? Cdiff?

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:22 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 382 Total Views
So Im a phleb, I draw blood, I work in a hospital. I have to gown up for not only whats in my title, but even more. Im also pregnant!

How easily can this stuff get contracted? What should I worry about?

My immune systems crap right now and building up though, since starting here I have gotten 2 colds, a 24hr flu, and bronchitus! Heck maybe the baby will get an awesome immune system ;P

I ask here just because well..idk I like this group.

Ive had the hospital up my butt about getting the flu shot "for my health" lol...i have told them like 10x and sibned a form declining. I even told the lady, I dont vax my kidd, myself or my husband...nooooooo"

So I dont want to even attempt to casually ask a nurse. I really cannot wait til about a year from now..hopefully im no longer working..healthcare makes me sick..just how they nonstop pump people full of drugs and shots..its just awful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
emmy526
by New Owner on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:27 AM

Shingles only comes on IF you have had chicken pox,and there are precursors to a shingles flare up...MRSA bacteria are literally everywhere, and C-Diff usually only affects those who are seriously ill, been in the hospital, and on antibiotics nonstop, destroying the beneficial gut flora needed to fight infection.   You should really read science digests about these things in question, and look at exposure to mrsa and cdiff  from a scientific standpoint.  Letting emotion rule over rational thinking about these things, will drive a person crazy.  

BlessedMammaof2
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:47 PM
I have worked with all of those things as a CNA in a nursing home while pregnant. I worked full-time until I was 38 weeks with my first and work part-time now that I'm pregnant with my second. I have direct contact with patients who have or have had Shingles, Cdiff, MRSA, HIV, etc. Practice good hygiene. Gown up everytime. Wash your hands before and after and use hand sanitizer. You might also consider wearing a mask for your own protection. Use your best judgement. It isn't something I was overly concerned about but I was aware of it. If I could avoid it there were patients I did not provide care too when pregnant because of what they had. A gentleman that was receiving radiation treatment for example, I was told to not even enter his room. The nurses I work with tend to be very understanding though.

I agree with the PP. If it is still concerning you I would research each one further and how they are transmitted and treated, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CheyennesMommy2
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:49 PM
In my hospital the dont want pregnant peopl to go in shingles contact rooms. The nurses suck on that floor and "forget" to put the necesarry thongs on the door. Like yesterday, a girl went in, no contact signs, gowns, anything. Turns out the patient had head lice.

Quoting BlessedMammaof2:

I have worked with all of those things as a CNA in a nursing home while pregnant. I worked full-time until I was 38 weeks with my first and work part-time now that I'm pregnant with my second. I have direct contact with patients who have or have had Shingles, Cdiff, MRSA, HIV, etc. Practice good hygiene. Gown up everytime. Wash your hands before and after and use hand sanitizer. You might also consider wearing a mask for your own protection. Use your best judgement. It isn't something I was overly concerned about but I was aware of it. If I could avoid it there were patients I did not provide care too when pregnant because of what they had. A gentleman that was receiving radiation treatment for example, I was told to not even enter his room. The nurses I work with tend to be very understanding though.

I agree with the PP. If it is still concerning you I would research each one further and how they are transmitted and treated, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoyXtwo
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:15 PM
The only thing I know about that is it wouldn't hurt to take a probiotic supplement everyday, because I've read80% of your immune system is in your intestinal track. There's also garlic, preferably raw, if you can. A vitamin C with bioflavonoids, and rest and staying hydrated are all ways to keep your immunity strong and in good working order.
I'm interested in hearing what you learn.
BEXi
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I had shingles while 9 months pregnant. It was from stress :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN