Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SIDS

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:31 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 246 Total Views

A good friend just lost a cousin to SIDS.  Baby was fine.  3 months old.  Suddenly died.

I can't help but wonder/assume if baby just received vaccinations.  I want to say something if baby was vaccinated.  I'll see if it comes up tomorrow at church.  This was the first baby of the parents.  :(  Maybe I am wrong about the vaccinations.  I sure hope so.  :(

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:43 PM
So sad. That would be my first guess too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:19 AM
Same here.

It also used to be called crib death. Crib mattresses release chemical fumes that can cause issues.

Quoting ceckyl:

So sad. That would be my first guess too.
emmy526
by New Owner on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:00 AM

yes, unf, that's always my first guess too, when a young infant passes.   Wonder if they're going to do an autopsy to determine the cause.

renee00
by New Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:25 PM

That would be a pretty insensitive question at this time I think...

SIDS is what they label all questionable infant deaths until autopsy reports come in. My friends 6 month old DD died, labeled her sids, turned out she had RSV and pneumonia. 

Sad no matter which way you turn it :(

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:06 PM
It isn't something i would ask the parents at this time, for sure. I know the great aunt and thought it might come up. You know, "well baby was just at the doctor yesterday and was fine" kind of thing. I don't know the parents, but kind of want to mention the vaccination thing so maybe it will plant a seed. Especially if it would be something that could affect future children.

As it is, she wasn't at church so we did not talk about it.

Quoting renee00:

SIDS is what they label all questionable infant deaths until autopsy reports come in. My friends 6 month old DD died, labeled her sids, turned out she had RSV and pneumonia. 

.sp4rkl3z.
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:05 AM
The correct term is SUDI

Sudden Unexpected Death of an Infant is any infant death that is unexpected and initially unexplained. Frequently, a cause of death is determined after a thorough investigation and autopsy by a medical examiner and coroner. The deaths that remain unexplained are defined as SIDS. Therefore, SIDS is a type of Sudden Unexpected Infant Death.

Having lost an infant unexpectedly I agree with the statement that it is insensitive. I found out later that some people thought vaccines because my son was just shy of 2 months. But he wasn't vaccinated. I feel like saying this to someone freshly bereaved almost plants the blame on them...even unintentionally.

Quoting renee00:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN