Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tetnus

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 4:41 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 177 Total Views

My son is 13 months old and not vaccinated at all...he is AMAZINGLY healthy..especially compared to other babies his age that have been vaxxed.

My question is tetnus...I am a little worried about this one because accidents can happen and boys will be boys.

How have you ladies dealt with this....do you get the tetnus shot...do you skip it...do you only get it if they get a bad cut.

pregnant

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
dedicatedrider
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Do some research regarding tetanus.  A few things that stand out to me regarding tetanus..... You can not gain natural immunity to tetanus, so how is the vaccine supposed to work?  Tetanus is an anaerobic bacteria, it can not survive in the presence of oxygen.  Rust is caused by oxygenation, rusty nail, does not necessarily equal tetanus (the only way it could *possibly* have tetanus on it is if it's submerged in animal dung or well underground somewhere where there is animal dung and you step on it while it is in that state).  Blood contains oxygen, allowing a wound to bleed removes the risk of tetanus.  If symptoms of tetanus were to present, or there was a TRUE risk of tetanus, the TIG shot should be requested, the vaccine is of no use post exposure.  Again, do your own research, but these are the main things that make me secure in not vaccinating for Tetanus.

kelly617
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Thank you very much!
I had no idea tetnus could not survive in oxygen...I believed (as I was told for years and years and years) rusty nail = tetnus

I will def be doing more research on the subject

Quoting dedicatedrider:

Do some research regarding tetanus.  A few things that stand out to me regarding tetanus..... You can not gain natural immunity to tetanus, so how is the vaccine supposed to work?  Tetanus is an anaerobic bacteria, it can not survive in the presence of oxygen.  Rust is caused by oxygenation, rusty nail, does not necessarily equal tetanus (the only way it could *possibly* have tetanus on it is if it's submerged in animal dung or well underground somewhere where there is animal dung and you step on it while it is in that state).  Blood contains oxygen, allowing a wound to bleed removes the risk of tetanus.  If symptoms of tetanus were to present, or there was a TRUE risk of tetanus, the TIG shot should be requested, the vaccine is of no use post exposure.  Again, do your own research, but these are the main things that make me secure in not vaccinating for Tetanus.

pregnant

emmy526
by New Owner on Dec. 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM

i havent been vaxed myself for tetanus for 30 yrs, my kids never had one either, and now my youngest is going on 17....we used to live in farm country, too....never had an issue about it, never heard of a case of it in my area, nor ever knew anyone that ever got it....the elderly people i take care of know of no one has had it, either...it's VERY rare, most cases  being in elderly or drug users, who have compromised immune systems.  

Kristin0728
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Tetanus is not a life-threatening disease if you get treatment. That said - you know that tetanus shots are life-threatening. The question I ask doctors is simple: if my son has just been potentially infected with tetanus, a treatable infection, why would I inject my son with MORE tetanus? Many doctors might say the vaccine gives you immunity before the live infection can take over but thats bull! If you come in contact with tetanus, your body's immune system is already recognizing the organism. The shot is pointless! Its the only vaccine you give after contact with the disease which means one of two things: 1. We should be able to vaccinate for all diseases immidiately after contact, OR 2. They are making up science. Besides, Why inject him with dead tetanus, a different organism, when life long immunity is about to take place from the real thing? Because remember - you wont know if the shot makes your son 'immune' and shots dont ever offer life time immunity.

Just know tetanus dies when oxygen hits it. (also why rusty nails are not a source of tetanus) Feces, mud, animal mouths, are what you have to watch out for. Again, hygeine was a huge marker in the eradication of diseases. Let the wound air out and bleed a little before bandaging it. Our bodies bleed for a reason. We are designed to destroy infection.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)